52 Ga. Infantry

Podad

First Sergeant
The 52nd Ga. Infantry Regiment mustered into Confederate Service at Camp McDonald near Big Shanty, Ga. from March 13, 1862 to April 18, 1862.
They were sent to Camp Van Dorn at Knoxville, Tn. from April 19, 1862 to May 21, 1862 and again from June 21, 1862 to June 23, 1862.

OFFICERS & STAFF

Boyd, Wier-Colonel.
Phillips, Charles D.- Lieutenant Colonel.
Van Diviere, Solomon H.- Lieutenant Colonel.
Asbury, R. R.- Lieutenant Colonel.
Moore, John Jay-Major.
Findley, James J.- Major.
Quillian, Robert A.- Adjutant.
James, W. A.- Adjutant March 20, 1862.
Parkes, W. A.- Chaplain.
Woodward, C. B. Sergeant Major.
Pitchford, Daniel-Quartermaster.
Logan, John-Assistant Quartermaster December 18, 1862. Resigned October 19, 1863.
Thompson, Cameron L.- Assistant Quartermaster October 19, 1863.
Smith, M. L. (or M. S.)-Quartermaster Sergeant March 4, 1862.
Howard, Nicholas F.- Surgeon.
Rossignol Henry- Transferred to 52nd Regiment Ga. Inf. as Assistant Surgeon July 1, 1864.
Bell, B. W.- Assistant Surgeon
Harpe, Moses R.-Assistant Surgeon

This thread is intended to serve as the location for general regimental history, photographs, stories, articles and other relevant information about the 52nd Georgia Infantry in the Regimental Histories Forum. Please do not start new threads - just add your content under this existing thread so it can be easily located. Thank you for contributing information about the 52nd Georgia Infantry.

Last edited by a moderator:
he Fifty-second was assigned to Kirby Smith's department of East Tennessee in the spring of 1862, served in Stevenson's division, which recaptured Cumberland Gap, and then marched into Kentucky.

In the fall of 1862 it was sent to Mississippi and was greatly distinguished for its at Chickasaw Bayou.In the spring and summer of 1863 the 52nd participated in the battles of the campaign that closed with the siege and surrender of Vicksburg.

The 52nd was engaged at Missionary Ridge, and served through the Atlanta campaign and the campaign in Tennessee, and was in the Carolinas under Gen. J. E. Johnston, surrendering April 26, 1865.

Source Barton and Stovall History and Heritage Association

COL. WIER BOYD

wp001c79fb_05_06.jpg

“I have become somewhat tired of doing nothing and am anxious to see this war come to a close and peace... prevail.And I have concluded the best way.. is to convince the Lincoln Government that we were all ready to fly to arms in defense of the country. Therefore, I have applied to Governor Brown and have obtained leave to raise a regiment in Northeastern Georgia for the war....”

(Wier Boyd to his son Augustus, January1861)

Source Barton and Stovall History and Heritage Association.

he Fifty-second was assigned to Kirby Smith's department of East Tennessee in the spring of 1862, served in Stevenson's division, which recaptured Cumberland Gap, and then marched into Kentucky.

In the fall of 1862 it was sent to Mississippi and was greatly distinguished for its at Chickasaw Bayou.In the spring and summer of 1863 the 52nd participated in the battles of the campaign that closed with the siege and surrender of Vicksburg.

The 52nd was engaged at Missionary Ridge, and served through the Atlanta campaign and the campaign in Tennessee, and was in the Carolinas under Gen. J. E. Johnston, surrendering April 26, 1865.

P43186.gif

Report of Capt. Rufus R. Asbury, Fifty-second Georgia Infantry,
of operations May 15-25.

HDQRS. FIFTY-SECOND REGT. GEORGIA VOS.,
In the Field, near New Hope Church,
Paulding County, Ga., May 29, 1864.
I have the honor to submit the following report of the late actions
in which this command has been engaged:

Detachments from the regiment were engaged in the skirmishing
at Rocky Face. One man wounded slightly by a piece of shell.

In the fight at Resaca Sunday evening, May 15, we were in the
front line and were actively engaged in the fight. Aided in making
the assault upon the enemy, driving them to their fortifications, when,
finding them in strong force, we were compelled to retire.

Our loss was 2 killed, 23 wounded, 3 missing. Officers and men
all performed their duty nobly, advancing to within sixty yards of
their fortifications, which position they held for some time.

I cannot omit to make special mention of the coolness and bravery
displayed by Sergt. William M. Murray, the color-bearer. He could
always be seen in advance leading the charge. The action continued
about one hour.

May 25, in the fight at New Hope Church, Paulding County, Ga.,
we were actively engaged with the enemy for about two hours, fighting
upon the open ground, holding our position during the day, repulsing
every assault upon our lines. All, both officers and men,
never performed their duty better. They exhibited by their coolness
and bravery that they were determined to teach the invader that
they were fighting freemen, who knew their rights and would dare
maintain them.

Our loss was 17 wounded.

Respectfully submitted.

R. R. ASBURY,
Capt., Cmdg. Regt.

Capt. J. P. C. WHITEHEAD, Jr., Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

This thread is intended to serve as the location for general regimental history, photographs, stories, articles and other relevant information about the 52nd Georgia Infantry in the Regimental Histories Forum. Please do not start new threads - just add your content under this existing thread so it can be easily located. Thank you for contributing information about the 52nd Georgia Infantry.

The 52nd Ga. Infantry Regiment mustered into Confederate Service at Camp McDonald near Big Shanty, Ga. from March 13, 1862 to April 18, 1862.
They were sent to Camp Van Dorn at Knoxville, Tn. from April 19, 1862 to May 21, 1862 and again from June 21, 1862 to June 23, 1862.

OFFICERS & STAFF

Boyd, Wier-Colonel.
Moore, John Jay-Major.
Parkes, W. A.- Chaplain.
Logan, John-Assistant Quartermaster December 18, 1862. Resigned October 19, 1863.
Rossignol Henry- Transferred to 52nd Regiment Ga. Inf. as Assistant Surgeon July 1, 1864.

P42538.gif

Charles D. Phillips

Enlisted and mustered into A Company 52nd GA as a Private on 3/4/1862.
Wounded and captured 5/16/1863 Baker's Creek, MS (Arm, leg, knee, & cheek). Paroled 2/24/1865 Johnson's Island, OH. Sent 2/24/1865 City Point, VA (For exchange). Detailed 4/15/1865 Clarkesville, GA (Recruiting service, estimated day). Promotions: Lt Col 3/16/1862, Colonel 11/16/1862.

OFFICERS & STAFF

Boyd, Wier-Colonel.
Moore, John Jay-Major.
Parkes, W. A.- Chaplain.

P43958.gif

James J. Findley

My 52nd Ga ancestor information.

Robert C. "Bob" Blalock enlisted with the Cleveland Volunteers, Company B of the 52nd Ga. on March 4, 1862. He joined as a private but at some point promoted to 5th Sgt. He was among those surrendered and paroled at Vicksburg, Warren County Miss on July 4th 1863. At some point he was exchanged and returned to the 52nd. His pension application records show that he was sent to the hospital at Dalton Ga at some point in 1864 with rheumatism in his right shoulder, hip, knee, and ankle. He was transferred to a hospital at Atlanta and furloughed home.
He suffered with the rheumatism and a chronic cough for the remainder of his life. He died in 1891 in Banks County , Ga.

I finally got to see this monument in person today. It is on the grounds of the historic Courthouse in Cleveland Ga.
8E283FD9-0A0E-4E35-82E0-0EA3E9026DAA.jpeg

COL. WIER BOYD

View attachment 143810
“I have become somewhat tired of doing nothing and am anxious to see this war come to a close and peace... prevail.And I have concluded the best way.. is to convince the Lincoln Government that we were all ready to fly to arms in defense of the country. Therefore, I have applied to Governor Brown and have obtained leave to raise a regiment in Northeastern Georgia for the war....”

(Wier Boyd to his son Augustus, January1861)

Source Barton and Stovall History and Heritage Association.
I used to be a member of the

I used to be a member of the Barton and Stovall Association. My g g uncle Martin Van Buren Garrett was a member of the 52nd.

I used to be a member of the

I used to be a member of the Barton and Stovall Association. My g g uncle Martin Van Buren Garrett was a member of the 52nd.
Forgot to add that he and his brother James M. Garrett were with Company G Alleganhy Rangers.

Back