4th missouri volunteer cavalry

1903sprfld

Private
Hi my GGrandfather joined the 4th Missouri cavalry Milita in Beford Iowa at age 60 he died in 1862 and was buried in the Springfield national cemetery I was wonder if any knows what they were armed with in 1862

I did find out this, but not sure if you can find it useful. Recollections of the 4th Missouri Cavalry by William Burns, Morningside press 1988. I am sure this book would have the information you are hunting for, it is possible.

The 4th Missouri Militia Cavalry's Quarterly Ordnance Report for the 4th quarter of 1862 [there are no ordnance reports prior to that quarter] indicates that Companies E, G, and I held 178 Austrian rifles and .54 caliber ammunition. Consequently their weapons were Muster 1854 System Lorenz rifles. Since my research interest is the use of Austro-Hungarian Army weapons by the Federal and Confederate forces during the Civil War my notes do not indicate the holdings of the other companies.

Regards,
Don Dixon

Is this 4th Missouri Cavalry the same as the 4th Missouri Mounted Infantry? Or is there a difference? My 3x great grandfather is said to have been in the 4th Missouri Mounted Infantry.

thanks
mike

Welcome to a Missouri descendant! My paternal line includes a Terry family in my paternal grandmother! Her dad was a pastor and if I'm not mistaken a branch of the Terry's from Indiana, all the way back to the Terry Clock maker branch of the Terry's, a very old colonial immigration.

Can't add much to the 4th discussion but Huzzah! to a possible cousin. Sullivan and Boone counties are where most of my paternal ancestors migrated to.

Cheers

Glen Cleeton

Welcome to a Missouri descendant! My paternal line includes a Terry family in my paternal grandmother! Her dad was a pastor and if I'm not mistaken a branch of the Terry's from Indiana, all the way back to the Terry Clock maker branch of the Terry's, a very old colonial immigration.

Can't add much to the 4th discussion but Huzzah! to a possible cousin. Sullivan and Boone counties are where most of my paternal ancestors migrated to.

Cheers

Glen Cleeton

Hey Glen - the farthest back I have is:

Thomas Terry (Rev war vet) NC 1st Regiment
b - 1750 Edgecomb, North Carolina
d - Livingston, Kentucky

John H Terry
b - 1788 Livingston, Kentucky
d - 1854 Crittendon, Kentucky

John T Terry
b- 1823 Livingston, Kentucky
d - unknown
it looks like he left his wife and took off somewhere

Stephen Dorsey Terry
b - 1852 Mason, Kentucky
d - 1902 Warren, Oklahoma

Oscar Marcellis Terry - was a lawman, accidentally shot himself on job and died
b - 1878 Illinois
d - 1913 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Lacey James Terry
b - 1906 Oklahoma
d - 1983 Oklahoma

I don't know exactly how far back the line goes.. I don't know who Thomas Terry's parents are, but since he was born in America, they were here for at least a little bit beforehand. If this is the line you're referring to that'd be cool - I'm not sure how many Terry's came to America but it's quite possible we're related... very far back... who are the Terry clock makers and where did they enter and reside?

mike

The Terry line with the wood clock works came from the Connecticut descendants of the surname back to the 1600s. The expansion in Ct incredible over the next two centuries. There was a lot of migration though and some went down the coast to the Carolinas before migrating west, others later following more modern roads and railroad west Pa, Oh, Ind, Ill etc. The roads through Kentucky were following Boone and others further west and south central. Most of my paternal line went through Kentucky to Missouri and my surname entered the colonies as tobacco farmers in the mid 1600s Mecklenburg Virginia, emigrating from the Liverpool area and West Riding York/Northern Wales.

Terry is Scot. Thomas as a surname also and related to my kin.

Ha! My paternal ggggrandmother was a Bozarth from the Livingston Kentucky area. Definitely following the same trails. Cleaton Kentucky is due west from Livingston.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
Back