1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

2nd Delaware

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by infomanpa, Mar 13, 2017.

1. infomanpa

infomanpa Corporal

The 2nd Delaware was part of Brooke's Brigade, who fought heroically in the Wheatfield and Rose Woods on July 2. As far as I know, after that day, they sat out the rest of the campaign in reserve at the southern end of Cemetery Ridge.

I just discovered a marker to the 2nd Delaware on Hancock Ave, among the monuments of Hays' division at the north end of Cemetery Ridge, where the Pettigrew-Trimble charge was repulsed on July 3. The marker states that the location is where the 2nd Delaware did skirmish duty during the July 3 battle. I can find no evidence that the 2nd Delaware was intermingled with Hays' division on July 3 Can anyone shed some light on this?

Wallyfish likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

It's a mystery to me. According to the official report, on the morning of July 3 a detail of 30 men was made up, under the charge of Capt. John Evans of Company A, to picket in front of the regiment, which was then located on south Cemetery Ridge northeast of the George Weikert place. The really odd thing is that the 64 prisoners reportedly sent in during the day by this detail were said to be chiefly from North Carolina and Georgia regiments - but no units from either of those states had been in that front.

The 2nd Delaware was one of those regiments with men from other states. Companies B, D and G were from Philadelphia, and Company C was raised in Elkton, Maryland.

infomanpa and Wallyfish like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)