24th Georgia Infantry

This is the exact land my wife's mother's family came from.
Can you provide me with detailed information, pictures, family stories? Would like to add it to the regiment's narrative. I have met a number of people who have contributed - Major General (retired) Maynard "Sandy" Sanders (Lieutenant Colonel/Colonel Christopher Sanders), Mr. Moise (grandson of Private/Lieutenant A. Welborne Moise), Baker family (Lieutenant Dickson Leeland Baker). There are a number of others, and I have added their stories to forthcoming book.
 
Can you provide me with detailed information, pictures, family stories? Would like to add it to the regiment's narrative. I have met a number of people who have contributed - Major General (retired) Maynard "Sandy" Sanders (Lieutenant Colonel/Colonel Christopher Sanders), Mr. Moise (grandson of Private/Lieutenant A. Welborne Moise), Baker family (Lieutenant Dickson Leeland Baker). There are a number of others, and I have added their stories to forthcoming book.
Her ancestor was Captain William P. Brown of the Middle River Volunteers.
There's a marker by the road.
 
I don't have any information that isn't already out there. However I am very familiar with the area (Habersham county) . My wife's mother's family had been there since the 1790's and were bought off and their land among others became Camp Toccoa. This is also the place Ty Cobb was born and also where the lesser known battle of the Narrows took place. Now it's Russel WMA. There is a trout stream and camping. You can drive or run up to the top of Curhee mountain, the same mt band of brothers trained on. The view is beautiful but the mt top is covered in graffiti. 😢
 
Wish people respected nature. We live on 19 acres with chickens, ducks, 3 dogs and a large vegetable garden and plenty of blueberry bushes. After 32 years of service and 5 combat/peace keeping deployments, needed the space!

Here is a story about Ty Cobb that is captured in the 24th Georgia narrative:
Another story involved John Strange included Cale Chitwood. During a forced march. John became ill from hunger and fell by the wayside. Cale "spread out blankets and laid John in the shade of the trees." Cale applied cooling water to John's face and body to lower his temperature. Once recovered, they made their way to camp. "This same Cale Chitwood is the grandfather of one of baseball's greatest heroes, none other than Ty Cobb."[1]​

[1] Ibid, 96.
 
That's the issue, not sure if it is a letter, letters or manuscript. I do not remember where I got the information. Been at this since 1999 and now that I am retired, I am working on the regiment's narrative. Hope to get it published. I have boxes, files, notes, etc. Just have not been able to find where I pulled the information from.

A copy of Weld's letter was donated in 1999 to at least one National Park site (Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania Military Park). That copy is in the park research files. Other parks may have received copies as well. It's unknown where the original letter is.
 
@CoE24GA
@lelliott19

Looking to cite letters posted by CoE24GA. He states the letters were obtained from Ms. Jody Taylor of Rabun County. Anyone know how I can contact the individual or find the letters online? See posts #173, #174, #175 in 24th Georgia Infantry.
 
Since multiple letters exist within that collection and thread online, you'll need to find the date of each letter you are citing and use it in the footnote. For example for the November 11 letter the footnote would be:

Andrew Newton Cathey to Lucinda Cathey, November 11, 1862, Jody Taylor Collection, CivilWarTalk, https://civilwartalk.com/threads/24th-georgia-infantry.130784/page-9.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top