Breechldrs 1863 Sharps Carbine identification help

Pablom

Private
Howdy
I was at the show outside of Chicago yesterday and picked up a1863 Sharps Carbine. I’ve always wanted to get on to mess around and shoot, and not a new reproduction. Well the bore looked pretty good and the rest looks like it’s been through a few wars etc. action works well, other than nipple is fair.

Anyway my son and I were talking about IDing such. Do any of you know if the serial number , C16092 has any background to any military affiliated group.

Or do any of you know of any books showing such information.

It’d be neat to know a bit more about it and a few others I have.

BTW, the old gent I bought it from said he bought it from a family, that sold him 3 civil war guns in Tennessee. This one was in a barn forever. The only rust though is, a bit lightly on breechblock and the buttplate is the worst thing with a bit of pitting.

Thanks

We would love to see photos to include the makers marks and any inspectors markings which will help answer your questions.

It is not listed in Coates & McAulay "Civil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles". There were approx. 30000 manufactured ,so possible Civil War usage. Remember buy the firearm not the story. Have fun

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acquisition! Enjoy it, regardless of its history. It is very difficult to trace individual serial number pieces to the unit or soldier. Records are spotty, often nonexistent. Those who can trace their firearms are fortunate. I believe you can safely say it is a Civil War period piece. So many were issued to the Army that it may well have been used in the war. Does it have any military inspection marks?

Don’t see much of additional makings. Is some kind of non factory fix on the stock. Looks like stock was sanded against grain too.
But no markings though........

BBD4B5FB-A7F6-43F6-8AE0-DFD23F41CA66.jpeg

7744D6E1-1D51-49A6-B3DC-30655E6A9A46.jpeg

0381EFED-5FD6-41B2-B93D-807990868BAC.jpeg

7EA7958F-FB1D-4B97-BE9D-B1EDDD5CD1AF.jpeg

C4B8F9BE-73F0-4AAC-B376-811BABDFD45D.jpeg

89E4229E-C44D-475D-8245-09EB3D99DF40.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. Its not listed in the SRS but the few that have a c160 first 3 # were late war issue.

Back