165th New York

Kurt G

2nd Lieutenant
This is a bust by Linjo Models. It is about 3" tall . It looks OK in the first image , but in the second one you can see a problem .The eye on the right of the image is smaller than the eye on the left . It is also farther away from the nose and higher on the head . I didn't notice this until I started painting . I considered making an eye patch for it , but I'm guessing a private missing an eye would be in the Veteran Reserves and would have a completely different uniform . Oh well. I got it on clearance .

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

I am not a modeler, but you will find that each side of a person's face is VERY different from the other side.
I've seen where clear, crisp full on head shot photos are divided right down the middle, and each side mirror imaged to replace the "other side" and you can hardly believe that the "two right side" man is the same guy as "two left side" man!
I don't know what sort of original was used to make this model, but it might be that what you have seen is a sign it was from life, not imagination!

This is a bust by Linjo Models. It is about 3" tall . It looks OK in the first image , but in the second one you can see a problem .The eye on the right of the image is smaller than the eye on the left . It is also farther away from the nose and higher on the head . I didn't notice this until I started painting . I considered making an eye patch for it , but I'm guessing a private missing an eye would be in the Veteran Reserves and would have a completely different uniform . Oh well. I got it on clearance .

View attachment 351291

View attachment 351292
I am an Optometrist, it is not unusual for the left and right eyes to be different heights or one eye to be higher than the opposite eye.

@Kurt G congratulations on your fine work. Many people do not have symmetrical features and in fact this post of a picture of Lewis Payne, taken as a young man after having been kicked in the face when he was youngster. Other photos taken after his capture show the evidence of the mule kick.
Regards
David

1586902520426.png

Enophthalmos.

Google it and feel fine about the bust.

Great paintwork, fabulous skin tone. What's your method ?

Those barely "imperfect" face proportions are what make this more perfect - as if a real person. I wouldn't give that a second thought. Your rendering and color sense is impressive, so realistically subtle. If you must have critique my opinion is that the coat, piping and tassel should be devoid of sheen, completely flat finishes to show as cotton and wool. It hardly matters though, great job.

Last edited:

View attachment 351291

View attachment 351292
You guys just amaze me with your ability to paint these miniature figures so convincingly. I'm in total agreement with @Booner on this one. I don't think most people will notice the eye difference if you don't point it out. Instead, they will be busy looking at the colors, the textures, etc. Did you also fashion the straps? They are the sort of detail that people will notice long before the difference in the eyes.
This is beautiful work! Very impressive!

Those barely "imperfect" face proportions are what make this more perfect - as if a real person. I wouldn't give that a second thought. Your rendering and color sense is impressive, so realistically subtle. If you must have critique my opinion is that the coat, piping and tassel should be devoid of sheen, completely flat finishes to show as cotton and wool. It hardly matters though, great job.
Yes , I was on my last few bottles of the appropriate Vallejo paint and they were no longer dead flat . I just got a big order of paint in and may repaint the clothing or try a matt clear acrylic . I agree 100% that not having a dead flat takes away from it .

Enophthalmos.

Google it and feel fine about the bust.

Great paintwork, fabulous skin tone. What's your method ?
My basic skin tone is to mix Vallejo ( acrylic) brown sand , basic flesh and burnt cadmium red to get the base color . I use sunny skintone mixed with the base for highlights and black red and burnt umber mixed with a bit of base for shadows .

You guys just amaze me with your ability to paint these miniature figures so convincingly. I'm in total agreement with @Booner on this one. I don't think most people will notice the eye difference if you don't point it out. Instead, they will be busy looking at the colors, the textures, etc. Did you also fashion the straps? They are the sort of detail that people will notice long before the difference in the eyes.
This is beautiful work! Very impressive!
The kit was only 2 parts , the bust and the pack/ blanket . Thanks for your kind remarks .

Back