Trivia 11-30-16 TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Chandler Fox plays Jack Shephard on the supernatural drama television drama Lost and he is the great-great-great-grandson to one of my favorite generals - George Meade.

Edit - The question asked for a character who, according to the plot of the TV series, was a descendant of a Civil War general.

You did well to find an actor who performed in a science fiction series and who was descended from a Civil War general, but that wasn't what the question was asking for.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild guess.... Science fiction novels are not my cup of tea

Maybe one of the Marvel Comic series characters... maybe Captain America, all my searches led to him.

One of his incarnations is William Burnside - we all know his namesake in the Civil War.
No idea if he is a descendant of the other Burnside ... but I lack time to search any further.

Edit - Answer revised in subsequent post.

Hoosier

Nathan Bedford Forest appears in Harry Turtledove's 1992 alternate history/science fiction novel novel The Guns of the South. Forrest's great-grandson, Nathan Bedford Forest III, appears in Turtledove's Settling Accounts novels.

upload_2016-11-30_19-15-8.png

Settling Accounts: Drive to the East
By Harry Turtledove

Edit - As far as I know, no TV series has been based on Turtledove's novels.

Hoosier

which science fiction series has a main character who is a direct descendent of a ciuvil war general and what is that character's name.

credit: @Schwallanscher
TV series: "Andromeda"
Main character: Telemachus Rhade

I am confused about whose names are being sought and hope the above satisfies the questions.

Edit - I never heard of this series or the character, but I looked them up and apparently the plot of the series called for Telemachus Rhade to be a direct descendant of Gaheris Rhade, who served as an executive officer (not a general) in some sort of deep-space rebellion.

Of course, this trivia game is supposed to be based on the American Civil War. Even if Gaheris Rhade had served as a general, I would have had a hard time justifying giving credit for this answer.

Hoosier

Given that there were in the course of the war, HUNDREDS of generals on both sides ranging from brigadier to full general (some beyond famous and most who have never been heard of), it is impossible to answer this question correctly unless a person were to accidentally "stumble upon" the information while looking for information not related to ancestry Or was a witness to a TV interview where the interviewee disclosed the information. This is an excellent trivia question!!!!! I will take a shot in the dark and guess:

Star Trek and the character is Leonard Nimoy (Spock)

Edit - Evidently you and I think in the same channels. Unfortunately, in this case, it was completely the wrong channel. :nah disagree:

Hoosier

After a lot of searching, I rejected these...

William Riker on Star Trek the Next Generation is a descendant of Union Colonel Thaddeus Riker. (not a General??)
Sam Beckett on Quantum Leap is a descendant of Union Captain John Beckett (not a General??)
Lieutenant Thomas Jackson on Star Trek was a descendant of General Stonewall Jackson. (not a 'main' character'??)
Malcolm Reynolds on Firefly was played by Nathan Fillion who is a descendant of General Jubal Early. (the character is not the descendant)

and settled on this one...

John J. Sheridan on Babylon 5 is a descendant of General Philip Sheridan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back