Trivia 10-10-18 Improved Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was born in Virginia and educated in Pennsylvania. I started my career as a machinist, at age 16 in Maryland. Later, I modified the design for a projectile and my design was adopted by the US Army in 1855. I worked for many major manufacturers prior to the war and even worked in England for a while. When the war broke out, I was initially appointed a superintendent, but was soon commissioned a Lt. Col. Despite my accomplishments in mechanization, I eventually became a farmer and died in 1894 at Winchester, VA.

Who am I? and what projectile did I modify?

credit: @lelliott19

JAMES H. BURTON
MINIE BALL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5TP5_v6pmd-st-OWWZYFWg59VDtG6Pym53dQCE_o64OTjxNyzag.jpg

James Burton, of Harper's Ferry, Virginia, improved the Minie ball which was adopted by the U.S. Military in 1855.

Interestingly, Christian Sharps designed the Sharps rifle, and in 1855 he formed his manufacturing company in Philadelphia. It appears that the U.S. Army was ramping up for the inevitable war on the horizon.

I was born in Virginia and educated in Pennsylvania. I started my career as a machinist, at age 16 in Maryland. Later, I modified the design for a projectile and my design was adopted by the US Army in 1855. I worked for many major manufacturers prior to the war and even worked in England for a while. When the war broke out, I was initially appointed a superintendent, but was soon commissioned a Lt. Col. Despite my accomplishments in mechanization, I eventually became a farmer and died in 1894 at Winchester, VA.

Who am I? and what projectile did I modify?

credit: @lelliott19
James H. Burton (1823-1894). While Master Armorer at Harpers Ferry Armory, he developed improvements to the Minié bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back