Trivia 1-17-20 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a private in Company M 72nd Pennsylvania Volunteers. My son would become a famous comic and juggler. (He changed our family surname slightly)
Who am I.
credit: @Peter Stines
James Lydon Dukenfield (1840–1913), father of William Claude Dukenfield aka W. C. Fields (1880-1946).

1.James Lydon Dukenfield , the father of W. C. Fields.
Bonus
1.Alfred ( "Alferd") Packer
2.Originally premeditated murder . Retried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter .
3.Guard at the Denver Post and later a ranch hand .

Last edited by a moderator:
W C Fields?

Edit - Sorry, 1903sprfld, I can't give you credit for a correct answer, because the question asked for the identity of the Civil War soldier, rather than his famous son.

Welcome to the trivia game, anyway. Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Primary Question: James Lydon Dukenfield, father of comedian W.C. Fields.

Bonus: Who am I ? Alfred ("Alferd"; the misspelling made by the tattooist) Packer, aka "The Colorado Cannibal".
What was my crime ? Murder and Cannibalism.
What was my new lifestyle? After being pardoned, he became a vegetarian. He moved to Littleton, Colorado and became a model citizen. He died of natural causes on April 23, 1907.

For a complete rundown (all you ever wanted to know, and then some) on Alferd Parker, visit the Website "Murderpedia", https://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/packer-alfred.htm.

Main question: James L. Dukenfield, whose son gained fame under the name W. C. Fields.

Bonus: Your name was Alfred (Alferd, according to the tattoo) Packer. Though there were those who accused you of cannibalism, the crime for which you were convicted and imprisoned was manslaughter.

I'm not sure what "lifestyle" the question is asking for. The source below indicates that after he was pardoned, Packer worked as a security guard and later as a ranch hand, but those would be jobs, not lifestyles. The source also indicates that there is an unfounded rumor that he became a vegetarian. In light of the earlier accusations of cannibalism, I suspect that the desired answer, unfounded though the rumor may be, was a vegetarian lifestyle.

Last edited:
James Lydon Dukenfield (1840–1913) father of W.C. Fields
Source
BONUS:
Alfred/Alferd Griner Packer (21 January 1842 – 23 April 1907)
premeditated murder (and possibly cannibalism)
He worked as a guard at the Denver Post and a ranch hand. It is rumored that he became a vegetarian. Source

Answer: James Dukenfield. His bio, photos and grave can be seen on Findagrave

bonus Answer
Alfred Packer (1842-1907), convicted of murdering and cannibalizing a group of miners he was guiding in the winter of 1873/4. Late in life he became a strict vegetarian
Source
Rebecca B. Brooks, Alfred Packer, Civil War Soldier Turned Cannibal. Civil War Saga. http://civilwarsaga.com/alfred-packer-civil-war-soldier/

Edit - While many players zeroed in on the correct father/son combination for the main question, it clearly asked for the name of the Civil War soldier, not his famous son the comic and juggler.

For the first part of the bonus question, I accepted either Alfred or Alferd as Packer’s first name. I accepted murder, cannibalism, manslaughter, or any combination of the three as an answer to the second part of the question.

The third part of the question asked for the new lifestyle that he took up late in life and said that it was notably different from his past. Since the question stated that Packer had drifted from job to job before settling in Colorado, I decided that, while it is true that he worked at a couple of different jobs after being released from prison, that didn’t represent anything notably different from drifting from job to job, as he had done before.

So my ruling is that the answer to the third part of the question had to include a reference to his becoming a vegetarian, which would clearly represent something different from cannibalism. A player could mention the jobs as long as the answer also mentioned vegetarian, but answers that only mentioned the jobs without mentioning vegetarian were judged incorrect.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back