Trivia 1-16-17 Buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Which two Civil War officers are being referred to in the statement below?

He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always.

credit: @Wallyfish

Question credit.

Grant had a calming influence upon Sherman. Sherman developed close personal ties to Grant during the two years they served together. In later years Sherman said simply, "Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk. Now we stand by each other always." At one point, not long after the Battle of Shiloh, Sherman persuaded Grant not to resign from the army, despite the serious difficulties he was having with his commander, General H. W. Halleck, during the advance on Corinth, Mississippi. Together they fought brilliantly to capture Vicksburg, Mississippi (1862-63), shattering the Confederate defenses and opening the Mississippi River to Northern commerce once more. During the early operations against Vicksburg Sherman ordered a doomed assault at Chickasaw Bluffs and a few days later was superseded by John A. McCiernand who accepted Sherman's proposal to attack Arkansas Post. Grant initially criticized this movement as unnecessary but declared it an important achievement when it succeeded and he learned that Sherman had suggested it. Sherman's corps did little fighting in the advance on Vicksburg in May until the disastrous assaults were made.

Aaaah, finally something I know without even having to double check!! (And I think a source is also not needed :D)
This quote comes from William Tecumseh Sherman referring to Ulysses S. Grant.

(btw, another uncommon thing Grant shared with Castro, referring to the question we had the other day: both were first named otherwise: Ulysses S. Grant was first named Hiram Ulysses Grant and Fidel Castro's original name was Fidel Hipólito Ruz González. Pity I did not think of that the other day!)

William Sherman said that to Snooks about General U. S. Grant; and I can prove it:

“See here, major. I’ll only say this once and that only because you’re an English gentleman who won’t tell tales. I’m smarter than Grant, see? In my head, I’ve got more understanding than him about all kinds of things—army administration, war, organization—you name it and he’s not in it compared to me. But there’s something he does better than anyone—better than me, or any man you know—and it’s this. That rebel General Beauregard over there in the darkness, I’m near scared sick with worry over what he might be planning and doing. But Grant? He doesn’t care a **** for whatever the enemy does out of his sight. He’ll just turn us loose in the morning and tell us to go kill ’em.”

“And you can tell Halleck this much—they called me crazy last year and Grant was the only one to stand for me. So, when they call him a drunk this year, you bet I’m standing for him—because he’s as much of a drunk as I am insane”.

He stood up and walked away.

Snooks North and South; Chapter 10; Peter Brian; Tower of Song & Stone, 2015

PS Snooks noted the ambiguity of the second half of Sherman's final sentence

PPS Being born on Friday 13th is no more uncommon than being born on Thursday 12th - or any other day for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back