1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Young James Longstreet

Discussion in 'James Longstreet' started by Eleanor Rose, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose First Sergeant Member of the Month

After following a link (see below) that was shared by @Mike Serpa in a "Ladies Tea" thread, I discovered what is identified as an early image of General Longstreet. This is the first picture I have seen of a young Longstreet! What do you think?

https://historical.ha.com/itm/milit...018.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

General James Longstreet CDV
    . 2.5" x 4", no photographer's backmark, "Gen. Longstreet" in pencil on verso, small abrasion to top layer of image along top edge, else a fine image. This is an earlier image of Longstreet, in an earlier style uniform and before he sported a full beard.

Edit: This picture has been identified on other sites as A.P. Hill. Darn it!!

Young Longstreet.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    FarawayFriend and War Horse like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

I think he is A.P. Hill not Longstreet.

4. Eleanor Rose

Oh no! I was so excited!! Glad I didn't make an offer to buy it. That would be disappointing to say the least. What do you think @War Horse, @GELongstreet, @FarawayFriend ? By the way Mike, the link you shared is awesome. I'm going to love browsing!! Thanks!

War Horse likes this.
  5. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

Thank you. Have fun looking!

War Horse likes this.
  6. Eleanor Rose

Now I'm slightly hopeful again. I found this supposed picture of a young A.P. Hill at AmericanCivilWar.com so maybe.....

AP-Hill.jpg

War Horse likes this.
  7. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

The original image is an engraving, rather than a photographic image, so there may be some artistic license there.

Bee, War Horse and Eleanor Rose like this.
  8. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

Old Petes.jpg

The eyes in the OP image aren't right for Old Pete, but they're clearly stylized by the artist. Otherwise, it's not a bad match for the the shape and proportions of the face. I remain agnostic, though.

9. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

I´m afraid that @Mike Serpa is correct; have seen it attributed to Hill several times (like the one from pinterest below). The picture shows him as Colonel in 1861, the third star half visible (if the stars weren´t added in artistic freedom) - an insignia that Longstreet never wore. Also if other pictures are right Longstreet already wore full beard during the 1850s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  10. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I can't say for sure. I know Longstreet sported his beard for many years as seen in this younger James Longstreet photo.

IMG_3037.PNG

FarawayFriend and Eleanor Rose like this.
  11. Eleanor Rose

FarawayFriend and War Horse like this.
  12. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Or could this be a sketch @Mike Serpa ?

13. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

The aforementioned pic of Longstreet with full beard in the 1850s.

[​IMG]

14. novushomus

novushomus Corporal

This is thought to be the youngest photograph of Longstreet, taken in the 1850s.

[​IMG]

Edit: @GELongstreet beat me to it.

15. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

Good question. Looks like a photo. I though the OP was a photo but Andy says it's an engraving. This could be an engraving, too. How's that for being evasive?:smile: Sorry, I just don't know for sure.

16. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

Eyes and ears seem to match the first photo.

Eleanor Rose and War Horse like this.
  17. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Sorry @Eleanor Rose for chiming in so late! How fascinating! I would never thought it possible that James Longstreet and Ambose Powell Hill could ever have resembled one another! I always thought of one of them as bursting with physical strength, the "Bull of the Woods", while the other one in my imagination always was kind of frail and emaciatiated, although his illness probably nagged at him more in his later years.
    As for the picture in the OP, I don't think that it shows Longstreet. The decisive part for me is the lower lip. The officer on the first photo had a full sculpted lower lip while I always thought that Longstreet sported his beard to hide is small lower lip that might have given him a kind of hesitating or indecisive or even weak expression. jeb Stuarg did it to hide his weak chin, Longstreet maybe did it to let his impressive beard give him a coarse, but manly, powerful look. Just my impression, though. And I can't find "my" Longstreet in the expression shown in tge photo, the faint hint of frivolity, the desire to please the observer that is expressed in the cocked head... in my opinion Longstreet would not have cocked his head to look more pleasant. He presented himself as he was, straightforward. "Like me or not, but that's me", so to speak.
    At any rate, thank you for that picture! It has improved my imagination of A. P. Hill, I can now see the boldness and dash that made him the valuable general he was for Lee. In his later pictures his ailments had taken that from him, but here we see him as he must have been in reality.
    Great thread, @Eleanor Rose! Thank you!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)