Xavier Soup

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Xavier Soup has always been a favorite for me. My Italian Grandma always made it for us when I was growing up and lived with her. Xavier Soup is named for Saint Francis Xavier. It was usually prepared for his feast day, Dec. 3rd. However, my Grandma always made it during winter months. It is a chicken soup with dumplings. She made her chicken broth from scratch but you can use boxed chicken stock. The dumplings make the soup. She mixed butter, flour, heavy cream, eggs, egg yolks, lots of parmesan cheese, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chopped parsley. She then scooped the batter into bag and cut the corner to make a pastry bag. Little dumplings were squeezed out and transferred to boiling water. When the dumplings floated to top, they were added to the simmering pot of chicken stock with all the other ingredients.

It was so hearty and yummy.

St Xavier was founder of the Jesuit Order and wandered Asia as a missionary in the 16th century. He is the patron saint of missionaries.

Many Italians brought this soup to America.

Xavier soup also reminds me of chicken and dumpling soup my Granny from Kentucky made. They are similar with some difference. Chicken and dumpling soup has been popular in South for many a year.

My Granny's Kentucky style chicken and dumplings.

Select a plump chicken. Dress and cut into pieces. Place in saucepan and cover with boiling water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Prepare dumplings dough. Drop by teaspoonfuls into the boiling broth. Cover. Boil 12 minutes. Serve immediately.

Back