Worst event

the musket fire hung like a pall and no one could see what they were doing.
So what's the problem! That's how it was back then. Did the Antietam back 25 plus years ago. Due to the tall corn field we could not see and come to find out were firing into the backs of another regiment. Fun
 
early 90s I joined a REV War outfit but the outfit Leader was more interested in doing paid living histories than battlefields. Guess he needed the money to pay his rent and for the upkeep of his horse. Threw in the towel when at 1 event there was a report of rain (which it did not) so I was the only one to show up. He didn't care how Farby an event was as long as he got paid, and they were FARBY!
So I tried ACW reenacting by joining the 27th Connecticut and it was great! No Farbyness at all. I did it until it was time to quit as I approached 50.
I did give Rev War 1 more chance by joining a Militia outfit but all the members were heart attacks waiting to happen and Diabetes candidates. Along with several tents set up there was a guard tent, a triangle. No room to lie down in it only stand. I peeked inside and there stacked 3-4 feet high were cupcakes, cookies, danish, donuts, brownies, etc. That was my last and only event with them!
That's a bell of arms! You're not supposed to sleep in it; it's for musket storage. (I'll give them points for creativity, but it's not for dessert ration storage either! )
 
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming from your user name you were on the Blue team? I'm glad you got more out of it than me.
Our group was disappointed, but later agreed cutting short the first day's battle was needed for safety. It took place inside the woods. According to the guys we talked to, the musket fire hung like a pall and no one could see what they were doing. Plus the artillery was having a hard time trying to find a safe beaten zone to fire into. Couple that with the ticks that got literally shaken from the trees.
There was also concern that the woods would actually catch fire just as in 1864.
Between the foliage and the smoke, no. You couldn't see anything. A pard and I drifted from our company and ended up fighting with some unit I'd never seen before. I didn't see any artillery firing, except from the road that led to our jumping off point.
 
Between the foliage and the smoke, no. You couldn't see anything. A pard and I drifted from our company and ended up fighting with some unit I'd never seen before. I didn't see any artillery firing, except from the road that led to our jumping off point.
Did a reenactment on a beach supposed to be the 54th Mass assault of Fort Fisher. They actually bulldozed big sand mounds to create a fort and obstacles. We did it at nightfall. It was so confusing next thing I know I got Union troops besides me a different color than me!
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top