Diorama Work in Progress: Fredericksburg Diorama

Harms88

Sergeant
I have decided that I will finally go ahead and start creating dioramas. Small ones, nothing to elaborate.

The scene will be set in Fredericksburg on December 11th, either the street fighting or the crossing of the Rapidan.

holih72q70j31.jpg

I haven't decided yet whether I will be painting the figures or not. It really depends on how much money I feel like spending and I haven't ever painted miniatures before. So I don't have any paint but I have a table that I could paint on, it's just also a matter of space for my small apartment, which I just added several shelving units to create a few new cheap bookshelves.

I do however have a few specific sequences that I may go for. Either way, I'll be using this topic and give you all basically a step by step look at what I am doing.

rebel brit

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Have you decided what scale figures you are going to use? If you have never painted before I would suggest going for the smaller scale of 1/72nd as you wouldn't need to paint as much detail . Esci and Imex both do an excellent range of Union and Confederate figures to choice from.
Looking forward to following your progress.

Harms88

Sergeant
Have you decided what scale figures you are going to use? If you have never painted before I would suggest going for the smaller scale of 1/72nd as you wouldn't need to paint as much detail . Esci and Imex both do an excellent range of Union and Confederate figures to choice from.
Looking forward to following your progress.

I had thought about 1/32 but I actually looked into some of the 72 last night. If that's a better one to start off with, I may just do that, as I am leaning more towards painting for the visual aspect of it.

Hi, you said you were thinking of Fredericksburg, either street fighting or crossing the Rapidan. Did you intend to say Rappahannock? If so, a friend was commissioned last year by the NPS to do the Chatham crossing on the Rappahannock. It’s now on display at Chatham manor. The middle crossing might be a little less challenging and would have the George Washington boyhood home site on the Stafford side of the river and less houses on the Fredericksburg side ( depending on the scale of course).
I love those things..... good luck

Harms88

Sergeant
Hi, you said you were thinking of Fredericksburg, either street fighting or crossing the Rapidan. Did you intend to say Rappahannock? If so, a friend was commissioned last year by the NPS to do the Chatham crossing on the Rappahannock. It’s now on display at Chatham manor. The middle crossing might be a little less challenging and would have the George Washington boyhood home site on the Stafford side of the river and less houses on the Fredericksburg side ( depending on the scale of course).
I love those things..... good luck

Yep, the Rappahannock. I always get the two mixed up. lol

I not going really large scale, I don't have room for anything too big. Instead, my focus will be more towards the squad level as we would call it.

Yep, the Rappahannock. I always get the two mixed up. lol

I not going really large scale, I don't have room for anything too big. Instead, my focus will be more towards the squad level as we would call it.
Well the Rapidan and Rappahannock connect about 20 miles wast of Fredericksburg. I am attaching a few photos of my friends Chatham crossing. If you have any questions, I can give you his email. Best of luck

DA808835-7664-4ACE-8D7A-9F6B0AC0FCBD.jpeg

6D8365A4-A7C4-4C9E-A874-9F7463B13C89.jpeg

775C627B-2171-4C12-817D-C8AE7B254017.jpeg

95FBBA07-0546-4647-9046-41E310DCAC5D.jpeg

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Very nice diorama by your friend, @Woods-walker ! I don't remember seeing it when I visited Chatham last summer so it must have been finished afterwards.

@Harms88 , here's the photo I took of the upper pontoon site during my visit:
GEDC0107.JPG

I remember seeing a diorama of the street fighting in the NPS museum at Fredericksburg and wanted to share it so you can get some inspiration, but I apparently didn't take a picture. :frown: Maybe someone else has one?

Very nice diorama by your friend, @Woods-walker ! I don't remember seeing it when I visited Chatham last summer so it must have been finished afterwards.

@Harms88 , here's the photo I took of the upper pontoon site during my visit:
View attachment 360545

I remember seeing a diorama of the street fighting in the NPS museum at Fredericksburg and wanted to share it so you can get some inspiration, but I apparently didn't take a picture. :frown: Maybe someone else has one?
Hi lurinia - I am not sure exactly when it went on display. I took the photos in my friends house on May 21, 2019. It was particularly disassembled, in preparation for moving it, when I took the photos. NPS took possession the following day and he spent a couple of days reassembling it. I presume it was reassembled where it was to be displayed. If I can get over to Chatham this weekend I will post an update.
NPS officials and historians poured over the diorama several times making changes to get it accurate. As far as I know it is as correct as historians believe the seen took place.
You are correct, the street fighting on display in Fredericksburg is one of the nicer ones I ve seen. I don’t have a photo of it and I believe the building is covid19 closed.

Harms88

Sergeant
To buy or not to buy.....

Hunting.png

This is a good $100, but I am considering buying this. It's got the Vallejo ACW paint set they've done, as well as primer, paint brushes and miniatures and other stuff. If I buy this, I'll use the miniatures for a more ambitious diorama I'd like to do afterwards, this one at Chancellorsville. But, one thing at a time.

I went ahead and decided on 1/32nd for the model sizes (which I've already bought). My reasoning is thus: It's really hard finding models with great coats at smaller sizes. There is a seller from Sweden who makes basically all sizes and I could get a ton of 1/72nd in various poses and they make custom minis, but it'd be at least a month before they'd get here at the very least.

I have also decided upon a scene set in the streets of Fredericksburg. I won't spoil the scene, but I also have a diorama base on the way which is made for miniatures on the 1/32nd size.

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
To buy or not to buy.....

View attachment 360606

This is a good $100, but I am considering buying this. It's got the Vallejo ACW paint set they've done, as well as primer, paint brushes and miniatures and other stuff. If I buy this, I'll use the miniatures for a more ambitious diorama I'd like to do afterwards, this one at Chancellorsville. But, one thing at a time.

I went ahead and decided on 1/32nd for the model sizes (which I've already bought). My reasoning is thus: It's really hard finding models with great coats at smaller sizes. There is a seller from Sweden who makes basically all sizes and I could get a ton of 1/72nd in various poses and they make custom minis, but it'd be at least a month before they'd get here at the very least.

I have also decided upon a scene set in the streets of Fredericksburg. I won't spoil the scene, but I also have a diorama base on the way which is made for miniatures on the 1/32nd size.
From what I can see it looks like this comes with primer . Make sure you use it because the paint won't stick to the figures very well without it .

Harms88

Sergeant
Which 1/32 figures did you buy ?

I bought a set of Toy Soldiers of San Diego Union Great Coat Infantry set:

https://micshaunscloset.com/collections/tssd-toy-soldiers-of-san-diego/products/tssd-6a

and a set of the 44th Tennessee Infantry by Cunnyngham Collectibles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076FQ29CR/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

They are plastic soldiers and while the 44th doesn't have any great coats or anything, I'm willing to go a tad less bundled with them than the Union soldiers. Between the two, it cost just a little over $54 (not including a 6% Idaho sales tax).

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
I bought a set of Toy Soldiers of San Diego Union Great Coat Infantry set:

https://micshaunscloset.com/collections/tssd-toy-soldiers-of-san-diego/products/tssd-6a

and a set of the 44th Tennessee Infantry by Cunnyngham Collectibles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076FQ29CR/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

They are plastic soldiers and while the 44th doesn't have any great coats or anything, I'm willing to go a tad less bundled with them than the Union soldiers. Between the two, it cost just a little over $54 (not including a 6% Idaho sales tax).
They do look nice . Wash them in warm , soapy water before painting on the primer .

Harms88

Sergeant
Nice figures, especially like the confederate poses.
The painting below by artist Keith Rocco would make a great diorama.

View attachment 360612

I own Kieth Rocco's White Misery in a signed canvas glicee and Eylau - 1807 signed print. He's actually a half-affordable artist to buy. lol

Cunnyngham Collectibles has a few regiments that are pretty amazing. Such as their Iron and Texas Brigades.

They do look nice . Wash them in warm , soapy water before painting on the primer .

I've heard that warm water is also good if you have bent weapons.

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
I own Kieth Rocco's White Misery in a signed canvas glicee and Eylau - 1807 signed print. He's actually a half-affordable artist to buy. lol

Cunnyngham Collectibles has a few regiments that are pretty amazing. Such as their Iron and Texas Brigades.

I've heard that warm water is also good if you have bent weapons.
I know it works on resin , so it might very well work on plastic . For resin I use very hot water but well below boiling . You might have to experiment with it .