Wm Sheppard artwork

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Recent auction find of a framed original chromolithograph image by William L. Sheppard. Dated 1888. The title is simply "Virginia 1864" showing a confederate artillery battery in the heat of battle. The chaos and sense of urgency is impressive. The pics here don't give it justice...

William Sheppard (1833-1912) is one of my favorite period artists. He hailed from Richmond Va and was well known as an artist, painter, watercolor, and sculptures. Unlike many artists that create a conception of what it likely was... Sheppard was actually there. He served as a Lieutenant in the Richmond Howitzers Va Artillery during the war.. hence his attention to detail tends to be much more accurate. Military related subjects was just one of many different artistic forte he engaged in. Majority of these were events and situations involving the common soldier.

Oddly I hadn't seen this particular image before. Some of his popular images have been reprinted in modern times but some have not. I haven't found this given image listed or displayed elsewhere before, so must have been a rather small issue. Intend to keep the existing frame but have it re-matted properly to get the image off contact with the glass surface.
20180318_213114-b.jpg

The artillery gun present appears to be a 20lb Parrott Rifle
20180318_213143-b.jpg

20180318_213152-b.jpg

20180318_213203-b.jpg

20180318_213217-b.jpg

This series set of images also done by Sheppard are better well known since they have been reprinted many times. I also have a set of these from the original issue in about 1904. These were initially sold as a benefit to support the Confederate Soldiers Home in Richmond
shep-DSC00095.jpg

Really nice find. Was it a local auction or online?

Really nice find. Was it a local auction or online?

It was at a regional live auction. Part of an estate collection. There were similar others there by different artists, that I wasn't able to get, This one was my primary target anyway...lol.

Tend to prefer live auctions hence can closely examine items. Run a small antique and restoration business on the side, so do auction runs all around the state and beyond nearly every week...lol.. Once in awhile come across something that is a keeper instead... One funds the other...

Back