The Bloody Middle Field at the Third Battle of Winchester

DSC_0091.JPG

Major General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, CSA Headquarters in Winchester

DSC_0123.JPG

Mount Hebron Cemetery "Confederate Section"

DSC_0154.JPG

An Unknown Soldier's Grave at the Mount Hebron Cemetery

DSC_0165.JPG

Major General Daniel Morgan, Continental Army grave site (Mount Hebron Cemetery)

DSC_0152.JPG

Major General Daniel Morgan Statue in Winchester

DSC_0193.JPG

The State of Massachusetts Monument in the National Cemetery

DSC_0183.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

I'm glad to see there has been development of the Third Winchester/Opequon sites since I was there in the 1990's and am looking forward to returning soon, hopefully next spring.

Great Photos William !

Is it true that Winchester changed hands 72 times during the ACW ???

That's what they say. I don't know what counts as 'official' change overs. There were times when a group from one side would ride into town and stay for a few hours and move on. I don't know if they counted those incidents as 'changing hands' or not. I do know there is a locale joke 'If I had lived here in those days I would have just sewed the two flags together and turned them around when I had to."

The main thing that I saw in Winchester was the cemetery where Patsy Cline is buried-my Father wanted a picture of it. I'm glad that you showed me what I missed. Oh yes, I did get to stop at a nice Tastee-Freeze in Berryville.

The Tastee-Freeze is now a Greek restaurant. The place where Mosby hanged four Union soldiers (well three....I think one got away) was located near the entrance of the present Clarke County High School.

That's what they say. I don't know what counts as 'official' change overs. There were times when a group from one side would ride into town and stay for a few hours and move on. I don't know if they counted those incidents as 'changing hands' or not. I do know there is a locale joke 'If I had lived here in those days I would have just sewed the two flags together and turned them around when I had to."

The Tastee-Freeze is now a Greek restaurant. The place where Mosby hanged four Union soldiers (well three....I think one got away) was located near the entrance of the present Clarke County High School.

Oh no, say it ain't so...about the Tastee-Freeze.

Wow, great photos! Thanks for sharing for people like me that live so far away. :thumbsup:

My pleasure!

One of the best things about living in Cincinnati, Ohio is our city is central to most Civil War battlefields and sites.

Gettysburg is only a 6 hour drive.

Shiloh is only a 6 hour drive.

The Shenandoah Valley is only a 6 hour drive.

Etc......

Bill

Excellent, Bill, as always. This is what we all look forward to seeing from your travels and photo essays. You never disappoint! I know you have a second excellent photographer traveling with you, too.

Okay, everyone, the joke is on me for this next part: I looked at the statue of Maj. Gen. Morgan and asked myself why he would be carrying a fine flintlock rifle. Then I quickly realized I was looking at monuments from two different wars in Bill's photo essay. Well... sometimes I get so focused on one thing that I miss the obvious other thing. Duhhhhh.... History runs truly deep in the state of Virginia. I don't mind if you enjoy a laugh on me as a result of my momentary stupidity with regards to Morgan. I'm laughing at myself right now--with a few forehead slaps thrown in for good measure!

Nice photo essay, Bill!

Excellent, Bill, as always. This is what we all look forward to seeing from your travels and photo essays. You never disappoint! I know you have a second excellent photographer traveling with you, too.

Okay, everyone, the joke is on me for this next part: I looked at the statue of Maj. Gen. Morgan and asked myself why he would be carrying a fine flintlock rifle. Then I quickly realized I was looking at monuments from two different wars in Bill's photo essay. Well... sometimes I get so focused on one thing that I miss the obvious other thing. Duhhhhh.... History runs truly deep in the state of Virginia. I don't mind if you enjoy a laugh on me as a result of my momentary stupidity with regards to Morgan. I'm laughing at myself right now--with a few forehead slaps thrown in for good measure!

Nice photo essay, Bill!

Pat,

Hahahaha.....

I almost titled my thread, "Civil War Winchester, Virginia."

But I chose not to include "Civil War" because I wanted to include the Morgan pics.

Winchester is a gold mine for American History buffs!

I will visit this city again in the near future.

Bill

Entrance to the Fort Collier Civil War Center off US 11 (Valley Turnpike)

DSC_0029.JPG

Fort Collier Civil War Trails Marker

DSC_0031.JPG

Fort Collier Earthworks Civil War Trails Marker

DSC_0042.JPG

Fort Collier Interior

DSC_0043.JPG

Fort Collier Interior

DSC_0035.JPG

Fort Collier Western Earthworks

DSC_0038.JPG

Cavalry Charge at Fort Collier

DSC_0039.JPG

Modern Home at the Fort Collier Civil War Center

DSC_0037.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Gettysburg is only a 6 hour drive.
Thank you for the interesting and well done photos! Winchester and environs look so serene and peaceful now. A huge difference made by the century and a half that has passed but remembered by those of us who still hear the guns.

Are you considering joining us for the CivilWarTalkers invasion of Gettysburg on June 13th? Here's a link for more details: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/any-cwt-members-interested-in-a-trip-to-gettysburg.109030/

The First Battle of Winchester, Virginia occurred today in 1862. Confederate General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson brilliant Shenandoah Valley Campaign.

Too bad this battlefield wasn't preserved but it was much too close to the town and towns will grow. I can't imagine having all that fighting and shooting going on literally right outside my back door.

Too bad this battlefield wasn't preserved but it was much too close to the town and towns will grow. I can't imagine having all that fighting and shooting going on literally right outside my back door.
The commotion and horror of a war in my backyard is something I find difficult to imagine as well! Just think of the folks who had direct effects of the war INSIDE their homes!!! The fierce fighting, bullets, shells and bloodstains from the wounded scarred many era homes and the lives of those who lived within. Sometimes today's citizens take for granted the freedoms and safety our veterans of yesteryear and today provided us at the ultimate price. Please say a prayer for all on this Memorial Day.

Back