Wilson's Creek

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
A few pics taken at Wilson's Creek battlefield.
100_1127.JPG
100_1124.JPG
100_1125.JPG

Since Backoff's Battery was Union, the porta potty in the picture with the cannons must have been for the Yankees? That was just a touch of humor. I visited Wilson's Creek only last week and took a picture almost identical to yours. If you don't mind, I will add a couple more to your thread. The visitors center had a small but informative museum. A two pronged Union attack by Generals Lyon and Sigel surprised Gen McCulloch and his army, but poor communication between the two Union forces and a larger Rebel force resulted in a decisive Yankee defeat. The Wilson Creek Brochure provides a driving tour and brief explanations as you drive around the park. There are interpretive markers along t0734 Wilsons Creek-Museum.JPG 0754 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG 0756 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG 0777 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG 0782 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG 0779 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG 0775 Wilsons Creek BF.JPG he route which do a good job of explaining the action at each stop. A large part of the battlefield is not heavily wooded so you can see where the battle developed without much interference. Hiking trails provide a closer look at the wooded areas of the battlefield if you are so inclined.

I visited for the first time last October (Fall really is the best time to see anything outdoors in the Ozarks). A picture of me leaning on a cannon is now my Facebook wall pic (chuckle)

A very pretty battlefield. Pea Ridge too is worth visiting in the Fall.
We also visited Pea Ridge last week. A beautiful park and the East Overlook was great.

We drove by Springfield and saw the sign for Wilson's Creek. My traveling companion was resolute in not stopping. :frown:

I'm hoping my nephew goes back for more training in Norman, OK. If he does, I'll visit him there and see Wilson's Creek and Prairie Grove on my own.

Thanks to @Jimklag & @J. D. Stevens for the fine photos.

I've never been to Wilson's Creek, but passed the park within a mile or two a few years ago on the way to a football game at the University of Missouri.

As the only history nut in the group, I was over ruled by the others when I suggested a brief stop.
My pal and I tried a few years back to make it to every major battle on the 150th anniversary. In August of 2011, the Wilson's Creek battlefield was a furnace. You can't tell from pictures, of course. We didn't make it to all the battlefields on their respective anniversary dates, but we got as close as we could and only got rained on at 2nd Manassas. It was a fun four years.

Thanks to @Jimklag & @J. D. Stevens for the fine photos.

I've never been to Wilson's Creek, but passed the park within a mile or two a few years ago on the way to a football game at the University of Missouri.

As the only history nut in the group, I was over ruled by the others when I suggested a brief stop.
A good number of our people are buried in your State. I was at that game too.

Back