NF Wicked Spring movie 2002

Non-Fiction

JD Mayo

Retired User
So who of all liked this movie? I really loved it specially the DVD version. But the remastered version 2018 is way better now. Between the year 2002-2003 Civil War movies where on fire, Gods and Generals and Cold Mountain with Wicked Spring. Here is the trailer etc. This is my third favorite movie after Gods and Generals, Glory and WS.

Trailer

Rare on set photos

Wicked Spring Civil War movie - First Day Shooting B Camera March 31st 2000

Angel fire Interview (DJ Perry)

There's a remastered version?

I've always half-way liked it. The beginning is WAY too quiet and slow for my taste, then it opens into hands down the most historically accurate, and top 5 awesome battle sequences, then starts slowing down into the most boring movie imaginable. I give it 15 out of 10 stars for historically accurate sets, uniforms, weapons and so on, but 2 out of 10 for everything else.

I like DJ Perry he is a good actor. I am watching Wild Faith which he also produced and written for the screen play. I'm hoping it's good. But No Retreat From Destiny was okay. Mostly lot of B roll footage documentary turned into a feature film. Used with lot's of narration. He also Produced No Retreat From Destiny that was his last film with Lionheart FilmWorks.

I see Wicked Spring is on Prime Video, and apparently I watched about half of it at some point, but never finished it and have absolutely no memory of it. Obviously didn't make make much of an impression. But, I'll give it another try.

Lionheart Filmworks deserves credit for trying, but they rarely achieve much above 3 stars rank, and are sometimes actually unwatchable.

Last edited:
I see Wicked Spring is on Prime Video, and apparently I watched about half of it at some point, but never finished it and have absolutely no memory of it. Obviously didn't make make much of an impression. But, I'll give it another try.

Lionheart Filmworks deserves credit for trying, but they rarely achieve much above 3 stars rank, and are sometimes actually unwatchable.
Yeah I don't think that company is the best at film making. Wicked Spring was good they got three awards for the film festival etc. But They are better at with sticking just filming Reenactment videos etc. Not making dramatized films. Seems like their audio is a bit off sometimes the sound was really bad in No Retreat from Destiny.

Kevin is a great guy who is dedicated to accuracy. The battle sequence for the Wilderness is one of the more realistic and accurate Civil war scenes in a movie imo.

However, the script was terrible and the actors weren't that great. I mean the whole premise was completely unbelivable. These guys have been fighting for years and couldn't recognize the enemy in front of them? I've watched it twice and fast forwarded most of the campfire scene that took up most of the movie. Very very very slow.

I give it a 8 to 9 for accuracy. -1 for the script and story.

Kevin is a great guy who is dedicated to accuracy. The battle sequence for the Wilderness is one of the more realistic and accurate Civil war scenes in a movie imo.

However, the script was terrible and the actors weren't that great. I mean the whole premise was completely unbelivable. These guys have been fighting for years and couldn't recognize the enemy in front of them? I've watched it twice and fast forwarded most of the campfire scene that took up most of the movie. Very very very slow.

I give it a 8 to 9 for accuracy. -1 for the script and story.
I agree entirely with your grade for the movie - it was just too much for me to believe that those soldiers could sit around a fire all night and not realize they were enemies - thus they had to keep the dialog between the soldiers very generic - it would have been much more dynamic if they had known who each other were right off the bat, and they made a truce for the night. Then the soldiers could have really had some interesting conversations about the war and their motivations for fighting.

I agree entirely with your grade for the movie - it was just too much for me to believe that those soldiers could sit around a fire all night and not realize they were enemies - thus they had to keep the dialog between the soldiers very generic - it would have been much more dynamic if they had known who each other were right off the bat, and they made a truce for the night. Then the soldiers could have really had some interesting conversations about the war and their motivations for fighting.
Been several years since I've seen this movie. One of the members of my re-enactment group was in it and he wanted us to watch it.

If my recollection is correct, what I found odd was that the federal was asked to read several letters from the wife / sweetheart of the confederate due to the confederate being illiterate (which the wife / sweetheart would have known too).

Wouldn't someone in the confederate soldiers company have read these letters to the confederate already, as well as write a letter to that soldier's wife / sweetheart?

If my recollection is correct, what I found odd was that the federal was asked to read several letters from the wife / sweetheart of the confederate due to the confederate being illiterate (which the wife / sweetheart would have known too).

Wouldn't someone in the confederate soldiers company have read these letters to the confederate already, as well as write a letter to that soldier's wife / sweetheart?

If I recall correctly it is implied that the Confederate soldier was too embarrassed to admit to his comrades that he was illiterate.

I missed this thread first time around. I'm going to track this down and give it a try.

There seems to be an awful lot of these obscure Civil War-themed movies out there. I'd never heard of this before, although I just love the CWT posts on movies and always read with great interest.

I missed this thread first time around. I'm going to track this down and give it a try.

There seems to be an awful lot of these obscure Civil War-themed movies out there. I'd never heard of this before, although I just love the CWT posts on movies and always read with great interest.

that might not be cued to the beginning FYI

Back