Restricted Why is it wrong to move monuments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
In the monument threads that have proliferated wildly in the last two weeks, some here take the position that no Confederate monument should be removed, even to a new location.

Why?

I live next to the most monumented city in the country and monuments here are sometimes moved. The Lincoln statue in Grand Army Plaza was moved to Prospect Park's interior. The Fowler 14th Brooklyn monument was warehoused for a decade, then moved to Fowler Square.

Are people really opposed to moving monuments to where they might be better appreciated?

W. Richardson

Captain
In the monument threads that have proliferated wildly in the last two weeks, some here take the position that no Confederate monument should be removed, even to a new location.

Why?

I live next to the most monumented city in the country and monuments here are sometimes moved. The Lincoln statue in Grand Army Plaza was moved to Prospect Park's interior. The Fowler 14th Brooklyn monument was warehoused for a decade, then moved to Fowler Square.

Are people really opposed to moving monuments to where they might be better appreciated?

Pat,

I am not against moving them to a more appreciated area. I am against removing them. I am against removing monuments at all not just Confederate monuments.

1st National Confederate Flag   1.jpg

Respectfully,
William

W. Richardson

Captain

If it is moved to an appropriate area, and it will help ease the feelings of those that are "offended" why not move it. I would rather it be moved than be destroyed.

Monuments are a part of history, an art object. I am for history, all history. Monuments/memorials/statues help tell history, brings history to life. It is physical history..................................

Respectfully,
William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
If it is moved to an appropriate area, and it will help ease the feelings of those that are "offended" why not move it. I would rather it be moved than be destroyed.

View attachment 73851
Respectfully,
William
I think that the number of monuments that undergo serious consideration for removal will be few. Those actually removed will be fewer, but likely to stir up storms.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
This is head-scratcher. Not the poll, but wasn't the original poster complaining about the number of monument threads earlier then they create your own monument thread? Huh?
Since there is no unified monument thread, this is what we are left with.

Last edited:

W. Richardson

Captain
I think that the number of monuments that undergo serious consideration for removal will be few. Those actually removed will be fewer, but likely to stir up storms.

Removal I am against, moving them I am for. I think you are correct that only a small handful will actually come under consideration for removal, and even less will be removed. Right now there is a call for many to be removed and the number grows daily. As I have stated many times, once one is removed and the precedence set, how and where does it stop ? That is my concern.

Respectfully,
William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Personally I think we should remove and relocate everything. Monuments, famous skyscrapers, your neighbors car, your side piece...everything.
It would make for a giant fun game of "hey...where'd THAT go." all around the world.
Cars move every day. Old buildings get torn down. I don't know what a "side piece" is.

And will it help relations to stir up storms? Would not dialog be better?

View attachment 73853
Respectfully,
William
IMHO, the word "dialog" seems to have lost any serious meaning years ago.

To me, this word is overused as much as the ubiquitous phrase "slippery slope".

Unknown.jpeg

I truly hope you're right. An honest dialog could help bring our Nation together.

Again . . . just my thoughts.

Last edited:

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Each and every monument reflects a local feeling at the time it was erected. Move it or destroy it and you have destroyed any recognition of that local feeling -- and that local feeling, friends, is part of our history.

I've been around for a goodly while and have seen many such idiotic uprisings sweeping across the country. Most just flare up, whimper, and die. But now we have agitation in the form of social media that makes money by keeping such foolishness alive. And I've just stepped over the line.

Beg pardon.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year

Why?

Pat,

Thought you might be interested in this article by Kevin Levin on his Civil War Memory blog.

Shouting 'Heritage Not Hate' in the Streets of Prague, by Kevin Levin.

http://cwmemory.com/2015/07/14/shouting-heritage-not-hate-in-the-streets-of-prague/

Enjoy,
Unionblue

M.Warren

First Sergeant
If they're in your state, or community, that's up to you, and the community or state. I don't pay taxes, or live there. I have no right to tell anyone what to do with their property.

If you're worried about something that isn't in your state or community, you're wasting your time. Its not your call to make.

Federal property, battlefields etc. I would say leave them alone is my vote. That's an appropriate place for them. You have every right to your own opinion as well. How I may feel about your opinion matters not.

Status
Not open for further replies.