Grant White Haven Farm

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Ulysses S. Grant first came to Missouri in 1843 when he was assigned to the 4th Infantry at Jefferson Barracks, south of St. Louis. Invited by his former roommate, Frederick Dent, to visit his family’s farm, White Haven, Grant soon became enamored with Dent’s sister, Julia. After serving with distinction in the Mexican-American War, Grant returned to White Haven to marry Julia.

Grant served six more years in the United States Army before leaving to be closer to his growing family. For almost six years he worked on his father-in-law’s farm at White Haven. He later said he would have been content to live out his days as “an old Missouri farmer,” but national events altered his plans. When the American Civil War broke out in 1861, Grant’s sense of duty called him back into military service where he proved to be a brilliant battlefield strategist. In March 1864, President Abraham Lincoln appointed him Commanding General of the U.S. Army. In just over a year, Federal forces secured the surrender of the Confederate Army at Appomattox Court House.

Throughout their lives together, White Haven proved to be a focal point for Ulysses and Julia. Although financial and political circumstances took them away for over a decade, they still considered it their family home. Grant looked forward to a relaxing retirement at White Haven following his second term as president. Family interests and failed business deals lead him to relinquish the property shortly before his death in 1885.

20200828_104209.jpg

20200828_171110.jpg

20200828_171250.jpg

20200828_101632.jpg

20200828_104346.jpg

20200828_171228.jpg

20200828_104455.jpg

20200828_211735.jpg

20200828_171525.jpg

20200828_171556.jpg

20200828_171410.jpg

20200828_171626.jpg

20200828_211645.jpg

20200828_211704.jpg

Is the farm at White Haven the one he called "hard scramble farm"?

White Haven was the father in law Frederick Dent's (Sr.) estate which also included another home used by the Grant family called Wish-ton-wish. Grant built a home on a section of the estate given to Julia by her father, the rustic log house was nicknamed Hardscrabble, but the family only lived in it for a few months before moving back into the main house. The Hardscrabble house still exists but is not in its original location, it is now across the road from the National Historic Site at Grant's Farm (an attraction run by Anheuser Busch).

White Haven was the father in law Frederick Dent's (Sr.) estate which also included another home used by the Grant family called Wish-ton-wish. Grant built a home on a section of the estate given to Julia by her father, the rustic log house was nicknamed Hardscrabble, but the family only lived in it for a few months before moving back into the main house. The Hardscrabble house still exists but is not in its original location, it is now across the road from the National Historic Site at Grant's Farm (an attraction run by Anheuser Busch).

Thanks for the clarification. I actually typed it wrong. I knew it was called "Hardscrabble", but wasn't sure if that was actually it. Thanks for the link too!

Thanks for the clarification. I actually typed it wrong. I knew it was called "Hardscrabble", but wasn't sure if that was actually it. Thanks for the link too!

Thanks for clarification!

The NPS ranger gave me half information on the nickname and didn't say anything about the new location. I would have visited the new site and photographed it. Crudball!!! Always something to learn....

Bill

A truly atrocious color, and very typical of the Victorian era, though I would expect to find it on a Queen Anne house or cottage instead. My complaint would be WHY it was chosen since it's so obviously after the Grants lived there??? Also the mannikins are equally inappropriate, since Grant wasn't a general until 1861 when he was most definitely a resident of Galena, Illinois:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ulysses-s-grants-galena-ill.90521/

I think one representing Captain Sam Grant would've been better.

Also the mannikins are equally inappropriate, since Grant wasn't a general until 1861 when he was most definitely a resident of Galena,

That was my thought as well. His army uniform post West Point would of been more appropriate.

Back