Which General had the Biggest Ego?

Ego. Most successful generals have a darned good opinion of themselves or they would not be successful generals. I guess it would be where the ego trips them up? Well, there's Joe Hooker. Might not have been a top drawer general but he was effective...but then he started pulling Lincoln's beard. Lincoln could put up with that if Hooker got him a victory, but instead got him a resounding defeat at Chancellorsville. Got the toe of Lincoln's boot on his posterior! There's John Pope, who boldly declared his headquarters would now be in the saddle...which prompted stone-faced Stonewall Jackson to wisecrack Pope didn't know his headquarters from his hindquarters. Pope produced resounding defeat, got the toe of Lincoln's boot so hard he was kicked clear to Wisconsin to give Indians a bad time. Beauregard was arrogant enough to take a leave after a critical battle - Shiloh - and he really did need it. But he probably should have told his commander in chief about it! The resultant dispute with said commander in chief caused Beauregard to dip his pen in poison and write many letters. With the Southerners it seemed to be more pride than ego - Joe Johnston's first snit was about Lee being ranked ahead of him, never mind he was one of the four top generals of the Confederacy.

I recall a story about Lincoln making a visit to McClellan's home one evening. McClellan was out, but was expected to return shortly, so Lincoln sat down to wait.

Upon being advised, when he returned, that the president was waiting to see him, McClellan headed for his room without a word. After another half-hour, Lincoln was advised that McClellan had gone to bed.

Unless someone can remind me of another officer who did something similar, McClellan wins my vote for biggest ego.

Ego. Most successful generals have a darned good opinion of themselves or they would not be successful generals. I guess it would be where the ego trips them up? Well, there's Joe Hooker. Might not have been a top drawer general but he was effective...but then he started pulling Lincoln's beard. Lincoln could put up with that if Hooker got him a victory, but instead got him a resounding defeat at Chancellorsville. Got the toe of Lincoln's boot on his posterior! There's John Pope, who boldly declared his headquarters would now be in the saddle...which prompted stone-faced Stonewall Jackson to wisecrack Pope didn't know his headquarters from his hindquarters. Pope produced resounding defeat, got the toe of Lincoln's boot so hard he was kicked clear to Wisconsin to give Indians a bad time. Beauregard was arrogant enough to take a leave after a critical battle - Shiloh - and he really did need it. But he probably should have told his commander in chief about it! The resultant dispute with said commander in chief caused Beauregard to dip his pen in poison and write many letters. With the Southerners it seemed to be more pride than ego - Joe Johnston's first snit was about Lee being ranked ahead of him, never mind he was one of the four top generals of the Confederacy.

Still, out of all Union commanders, I think Little Mac gave Abe the most trouble. I mean, McClellan ran against Lincoln for President in 1864.

Still, out of all Union commanders, I think Little Mac gave Abe the most trouble. I mean, McClellan ran against Lincoln for President in 1864.

That's true, and he called him a gorilla, too! Hard to top McClellan for outstanding disrespect for his commander. But, Joe Hooker still did him one better. He loudly and clearly asserted there should be a dictator - himself, of course. Lincoln took him on anyway and told him he saw what he did there but only victorious generals could make that threat stick. Bring me victory and I'll take my chances! There were two generals who, by the end of the war, fit that criteria and who could actually make good on it, and Hooker was definitely not one of them. Grant was not so inclined and the idea never entered his head...but the idea sure did enter Sherman's head! Fortunately, he left it at blowing off steam to his wife. McClellan, on the other hand, was the only one who gave a bit of a cold chill up Lincoln's neck - the AoP was as loyal to their general as a hound dog. Lincoln referred to them as McClellan's personal body guard. If McClellan's ego hadn't been topped by his caution, he might have decided the only way to do his job of saving the country was to use his army against the president!

There's a lot of competition for this, but my vote goes to Alfred Pleasonton. By his own account, he singlehandedly saved the Army of the Potomac and was also responsible for Stonewall Jackson's wounding at Chancellorsville.

Fighting Joe Hooker is a pretty good choice too. "I was at the battle of Bull Run the other day, and it is neither vanity or boasting in me to declare that I am a damned sight better General than you, Sir, had on that field.” Even if true, that's a pretty egotistical statement.

I'd probably vote for Beauregard on the Confederate side.

Back