Which Document would you believe?

ARW

Sergeant
John Durst was in the 148 PVI part of Hancock's 2nd Corps at Gettysburg. He survived the Wheatfield on July 2nd. He was shot in the leg July 3rd at the Angle at Pickett's Charge. He died of the wounds in Oct. His PA Veterans card does not show rank at death. The death list shows him as a Sergeant. The Regimental History lists him as a Private. Not that it matters that much, but I guess either record could be in error.

John Durst.gif

John Durst Death (2).jpg

Maybe they're both right? Enlisted as a private and was promoted to sergeant at some point before death?

That is my belief but other PA Reg histories always show the last rank and his shows death as Private. But so much of that was after the war. I am going with Sergt because I can. He deserves it anyway.

A comprehensive regimental history - The Story of Our Regiment, A History of the 148th Pennsylvania Vols., ed. by Adj. J. W. Muffly, 1904 - lists John Durst as a private (pp. 964, 1040). I see he died at the improvised general hospital set up at the cotton factory in Harrisburg.

Back