Where sherman stayed in Savannah

Keiri

Sergeant
They were having an event that day and wouldn't let us in, but this was where Sherman stayed while in Savannah on the MTTS. At the time it was built, it was by far the most expensive and poshest house in Savannah, and all of the wrought iron was a big deal apparently. I took this photo last month, on my birthday trip along the MTTS.

Some summaries of info on Savannah directly from soldiers, to give you some flavor:
Savannah was laid out well and had both old and old-fashioned buildings. The depots were fine but the landings were poor. There was no end to warehouses. SC opposite looked miserably barren in comparison.
They had live oaks, Japonica in blossom, and oranges only slightly touched by frost. The waterfront had cotton that awaited shipment. The old streets were rutted tracks of sand and oyster shell, since rebels used cobbles as obstructions in the river. The city’s outskirts were scarred by trenches and streets blocked by mounds of dirt. It was an old and large place. Most buildings were mossy. There were many women, blacks, and Irish. The transports can't get to the city. It was cold and sunny. Trees were green and no snow, but ice formed in gutters and ponds.

IMG_0081.JPG

We go to Savanah on a regular-ish basis, but every time we go it's been closed for one reason or another.

Isn't that in an historic square downtown?

I visited Savannah only once about 20 years ago but I remember clearly the beautiful trees and plantings around a couple of the old downtown squares.

Isn't that in an historic square downtown?

I visited Savannah only once about 20 years ago but I remember clearly the beautiful trees and plantings around a couple of the old downtown squares.

More than a couple squares...I want to say there's about 26 squares? Memory fails me on the exact number. The entire downtown area is designed around this square system, so just about everything is part of a square or near a square (most of the tourist stuff anyway, with the exception of the river)

literally miles upon miles upon miles of squares. The dangdest thing one will ever see. One of the most historically amazing cities you can visit as well.

I was stationed at Ft Stewart just South of Savannah and I always have fond memories of Savannah, especially the crab cakes at the Pink House and St Patrick's Day. :eek:

Savannah has 22 squares, all historic (Ellis square has been re-built). The Green-Meldrim House is on Madison Square. I have visited the house twice and agree it's worth a visit; they offer free guided tours when it's open. For a timeline of Savannah in the Civil War, see my web sites:

http://www.lakesidepress.com/Savannah-CivilWar/1861-1862.html
http://www.lakesidepress.com/Savannah-CivilWar/1863-1865.html

The City of Savannah has one of the largest National Historic Districts in the country. In addition, Savannah is the oldest city in Georgia and was the original state capitol during the colonial era. The city was occupied by Sherman in late 1864 at the end of his March to the Sea. Fortunately, it was spared from destruction by Sherman after the peaceful surrender of the city. Savannah contains many interesting historic sites including Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski that were occupied by Confederate troops during the war.

Back