Where is it Wednesday

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
1565186400166.png

I have to start paying more attention to fence types on visits. I know there are some funky looking trees along the Rose Woods. So @wingatecivilwar5 could be correct. From the way the photo is taken, it appears that the land is getting higher as you move right. So it it is the Rose Woods it would have to be further north of the Rose House along the treeline as it gains elevation to The Peach Orchard. But I am not sure. Regardless, Pam, it is a nice photo.

@pamc153PA , what's the answer? Can't wait to see it.

I already have that rock formation on Wright Avenue from a previous where is it on my must see list on my upcoming fall trips. I may add this location to my visit list as well.

The pic shows the old Osage orange trees along the fence row near the Hancock wounding marker along Hancock Avenue near the PA Monument. I love looking for witness trees on the battlefield, and though I don’t think these are battle witnesses, they are old and gnarled. I had “seen” these trees dozens of times, but never actually walked to them and looked at them before last winter.

The yellow circled trees are the ones, and the arrow shows the approximate direction I was photographing from.
B55BD152-7E51-4DE6-AB76-213951EE1937.jpeg

I would of never guessed that. I have walked right by that many times. My gut told me it wasn't the Rose Farm but I had no better guess.

The photo gives the impression that you are looking at a larger woodlot,

Somehow it is appropriate to be "stumped" while looking at a wood lot.

old Osage orange trees along the fence row

Oh dear, which reminds me that Osage orange, also known as crab/hedge-apple, trees were planted as a cheap way to replace or make fences.
e0257388e030e5ec50b59faef7fe3e73.jpg
1565821032162.jpeg
636092794072137436-IMG-4191.jpg

We had a long line of this when I was a kid, along a couple of fence lines. my bold.

(snip)

We have a 2,000 linear foot property perimeter we need to fence off to prevent livestock from roaming onto our neighbors' land and upsetting them, however, we aren't made of money and cannot afford a conventional fence. Also, we don't want one. They take too much upkeep over the years and don't provide anything additional to being a plain, boring fence. And so, we decided that planting a living fence was for us. The finished product- at least in theory- will be "bull-strong and hog-tight" -unlike most other conventional fencing methods- will provide a habitat for wildlife, and will be an indefinite, sustainable source of firewood for our family from the yearly trimmings we'll be giving it to keep it at a manageable height.

Thanks for clearing up a mystery for me. It seems some of these trees just east of the Rose Woods helped change the course of the battle at that location:

D. Augustus Dickert of Kershaw's South Carolina brigade recalled: The 15th Regiment met a heavy obstruction, a mock-orange hedge, and it was just after passing this obstacle that Col. [William] DeSaussure fell.

A mock orange tree does exist, but from Dickert's description it sounds like he is referring to an Osage orange hedge. The following source states the wood was used in making hubs and wheel rims for horse-drawn wagons:

I guessed that was somewhere around the Pennsylvania monument and Hancock avenue, but no matter by the time I came to post it was already identified .... but a lovely shot

I'm shocked a ton of people didn't guess this right off. Why, with the combination of a split-rail fence and some trees eliminating around half of the battlefield.

Back