A Union
U.S. Civil War earthworks fort established on the James River in October 1864 after the capture of
Fort Harrison (4) by Union forces. This was an earthworks fort overlooking the James River with 10 gun emplacements and a central bombproof magazine. The fort was garrisoned by Company C,
1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery.
The fort was frequently under fire from Confederate gun batteries across the James River. An attack on 23 Jan 1865 resulted in one gun knocked out of action and three men killed along with forty injured by flying splinters. Eleven Confederate gunboats were able to get by the fort in this action but they were turned back by the Union fleet down river. As the Confederate gunboats retreated back by Fort Brady the fort poured shells down on the fleet.
The fort was abandoned in April 1865 after the capture of Richmond.