WBtS Game Archives

Germany, followed by Ireland, IIRC. Followed by England, China, France, Scotland, and then Norway-Sweden

During the Civil War Period the majority of Immigrants who came to america came as they did prior to the start of the war from Germany and Ireland. Other Countries that many immigrants came from were Hungry, Italy, China and Poland

At about 7am tomorrow (Monday 6/10) I'll be posting a new trivia question for you. At that time I'll score Friday's Question. I'll also let you know if we will make up Saturday's & Sunday's questions in the morning.

I'll also be updating the scores some time tomorrow. Have a good night!

Well, as you may have already read, the server is back up and running, after a very busy weekend. It took a lot longer than I expected, my 56K modem had a fit when I tried to send 80+ MB to the server. But the job is done, and the message boards are working, and so are most of the other parts of our site.

Note that the links at the bottom of trivia have changed, old links from previous questions should not be followed.

We are going to skip the questions that would have been played on Saturday & Sunday. That means our next game still begins on Saturday.

Yesterday's Question: During the Civil War, more than 800,000 immigrants entered the United States. From which countries did the majority of the immigrants come? Germany, Ireland, & England.

Here is Today's Question, Worth One Point:

What is the job of the number three man in field artillery drill?

Expect the next trivia question to be posted tomorrow at about 7am. Please post your answers to this question before that time. Thank you!

Our Trivia Prize for Game #16:
http://civilwartalk.com/bbs/messages/2/7184.html

Current Scores for Game #16:
http://civilwartalk.com/bbs/messages/2/7182.html

How to Play The Game:
http://civilwartalk.com/bbs/messages/2/6517.html

PS: This trivia game is open to new players, you may join at any time. To register to play, please click the "Profile" link at the top of the page, and then choose "Registration". Follow the prompts and when you finish you will be able to post your answer in the "Add a Message" box below. Thanks!

GOOD LUCK!

The Number Three man works the right side of the breech, servicing the vent during cleaning and priming.

# 3 covers the vent with his thumb wearing protective leather gloves. Sets the Aim and Pricks the charge with vent pick

Number 3 "covers the vent with his thumb wearing a protective thumbstall. The Gunner sights the piece and directing #3, (now on the handspike), in setting the aim. After sighting and loading, at the "Ready" command, #3 pricks the charge with a vent prick..."

Belle

#3 will cover the vent with his thumb, while the round is rammed home by #2. The gunner then sights the piece, operating the elevating screw to set the range, and directing #3, now on the handspike, in setting the aim.

After sighting and loading, at the command "Ready", #3 pricks the charge with a vent pick, and #4 hooks the lanyard to a friction primer and inserts the primer in the vent. At the command "Fire", #4 pulls the lanyard and the piece is dischasrged.

Number 3 covers the vent with his thumb, wearing a protective leather thumbstall. The Gunner then sights the piece, operating the elevating screw to set the range, and directing Number 3, now on the handspike, in setting the aim.After sighting and loading, at the command "Ready", Number 3 pricks the charge with a vent pick.

Number 3 covers the vent with his thumb, wearing a protective leather thumbstall. The Gunner then sights the piece, operating the elevating screw to set the range, and directing Number 3, now on the handspike, in setting the aim.
After sighting and loading, at the command "Ready", Number 3 pricks the charge with a vent pick.

The process begins with the gunner's command for the type of ammunition and the range; Number 6 assisted by Numbers 7 and 8, at the limber chest, calls out the elevation and cuts the fuzes. At the command "Load", Number 1 steps to the muzzle with the rammer held parallel to the bore. Number 5 is given a round of ammunition by Number 6 or 7, and delivers the round to Number 2, who inserts it in the bore, where Number 1 rams it home. While this is taking place,

"Number 3 covers the vent with his thumb, wearing a protective leather thumbstall. The Gunner then sights the piece, operating the elevating screw to set the range, and directing Number 3, now on the handspike, in setting the aim.
After sighting and loading, at the command "Ready", Number 3 pricks the charge with a vent pick,"

and Number 4 hooks the lanyard to a friction primer and inserts the primer in the vent. At the command "Fire", Number 4 pulls the lanyard and the piece is discharged. The cannon is then run back into position; Number 1 sponges the piece and the process can begin again. A battery of well-trained cannoneers could fire two or even three rounds a minute, especially under combat conditions when they skipped sponging.
http://www.cwartillery.org/adrill.html
Lorrie

Number 3 covers the vent with his thumb, wearing a protective leather thumbstall. The Gunner then sights the piece, operating the elevating screw to set the range, and directing Number 3, now on the handspike, in setting the aim. After sighting and loading, at the command "Ready", Number 3 pricks the charge with a vent pick.
RR

Back