Warren's Rock Before and After Warren

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
warrenless final.jpg

Warren Rock pre/post Warren. The Warren statue on Little Round Top at Gettysburg has made this one of the most photographed locations on the battlefield, but the panoramic view drew the attention of photographers long before Warren appeared in 1888. Here is a pre-1888 photograph along with a similar view I took a few years ago. The Wheatfield Road can be seen crossing Plum Run in the valley below and Crawford Avenue, visible in the modern photograph, wasn't constructed until ca. 1900.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! One can almost do an overlay of these photographs, and they would line up, nicely. Once again, it is nice to see images of a place in which I have visited, stood, and fully understand the orientation.

View attachment 128937

Warren Rock pre/post Warren. The Warren statue on Little Round Top at Gettysburg has made this one of the most photographed locations on the battlefield, but the panoramic view drew the attention of photographers long before Warren appeared in 1888. Here is a pre-1888 photograph along with a similar view I took a few years ago. The Wheatfield Road can be seen crossing Plum Run in the valley below and Crawford Avenue, visible in the modern photograph, wasn't constructed until ca. 1900.
There is a much smaller rock downhill from the Warren statue (it would be slightly to the left and behind the statue) that I like to sit on with my camera and binoculars and view the battlefield in panorama.

View attachment 128937

No photo..dang it.

Very interesting. I've never been there, but it looks as though the soil around the boulders has been partially excavated to make a paved walkway.

Very interesting. I've never been there, but it looks as though the soil around the boulders has been partially excavated to make a paved walkway.
The battlefield currently has a yearly average visitation of 1.2 million people and I'd think most of them end on LRT standing in front of Warren rock. Now imagine 153 years worth of foot traffic on LRT. The park has to constantly rope off unofficial paths to prevent and limit erosion. There was a old photo of the 44th NY monument posted recently that really shows the amount of erosion that's occurred around this monument.
I don't know when they installed the asphalt path up there but it's the only real option for dealing with the amount of visitors.

View attachment 128937

Love these photo's!

The battlefield currently has a yearly average visitation of 1.2 million people and I'd think most of them end on LRT standing in front of Warren rock. Now imagine 153 years worth of foot traffic on LRT. The park has to constantly rope off unofficial paths to prevent and limit erosion. There was a old photo of the 44th NY monument posted recently that really shows the amount of erosion that's occurred around this monument.
I don't know when they installed the asphalt path up there but it's the only real option for dealing with the amount of visitors.

There is a plan to begin rehabbing LRT soon. The place has been loved to death. Part of the plan is to replace with macadam paths with some form of flag stone or other stone so to look more natural. They are also planning to utilize the area near the portopotties after you come off LRT as bus and car parking, leaving less than half of the current spaces where they are now, and having either shuttles or pedestrian walkways to the top of LRT.

There is a plan to begin rehabbing LRT soon. The place has been loved to death. Part of the plan is to replace with macadam paths with some form of flag stone or other stone so to look more natural. They are also planning to utilize the area near the portopotties after you come off LRT as bus and car parking, leaving less than half of the current spaces where they are now, and having either shuttles or pedestrian walkways to the top of LRT.

It amazes me how easy it is to use one of the parking spaces in front of the 20th Maine monument. I think that there are only 3 spots and I usually find one, even in the height of tourist season. It's a short walk to LRT and I smugly smile at all the people trying to squeeze their cars and buses along the main road. Oh, no! I just revealed my secret to thousands of people!:tongue:

It amazes me how easy it is to use one of the parking spaces in front of the 20th Maine monument. I think that there are only 3 spots and I usually find one, even in the height of tourist season. It's a short walk to LRT and I smugly smile at all the people trying to squeeze their cars and buses along the main road. Oh, no! I just revealed my secret to thousands of people!:tongue:

Well, there goes your parking space! If you see a little silver Tucson parked there, it's not me.:sneaky:

The main problem with that is that the sun is shining directly into your eyes from the West.

That is true but with a good pair of sunglasses, it doesn't bother me plus it can lead to some great pictures. I don't know, there's something intensely emotional about watching twilight fall across the battlefield.

That is true but with a good pair of sunglasses, it doesn't bother me plus it can lead to some great pictures. I don't know, there's something intensely emotional about watching twilight fall across the battlefield.
...and you are seeing the lighting that was present when LRT was still being assaulted late on July 2

Actually, I almost never stop on LRT from March through about October unless it's very early in the morning or almost dark--too full of people!
I alwats visit Sund
Actually, I almost never stop on LRT from March through about October unless it's very early in the morning or almost dark--too full of people!
Weekends are crazy there, I try to visit Sun. thru Weds., early morning is best time, you have the field pretty much to youself. Plus it's nice taking pictures without cars and people in them.

Back