ENDED Wanted: no firearm related items

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newcomer to CivilWarTalk and I am a recent retiree. Being on a fixed income budget, I am limited in mind financial resources.

However I would be interested to know if there is anything out there that I would be able to afford.

I am looking in the price range of at this point a maximum of $25. I know that’s not much but It’s what I can afford at this point.

I look forward to a long history with CivilWarTalk.

CadCam Scanner
Cadet

My only relic is a dropped minie from Gburg from what I gather is a trusted seller here (gettysburg relics?)

from Rosenteel collection for 25, I would like to believe it is what it is said,

but my point is for 25$ that is a super iconic and beautiful aged object,

millions of bullits were fired in three days so they are still available for not much $

Patriotic tokens, merchant tokens, Confederate currency primarily the $5, $10, $20, 1864 issues in lower grades (G-Good, VG-Very Good), 1861-1865 U.S. coinage in Good to Fine grades, U.S. Fractional currency in Good to Fine grades, Confederate postage stamps, original issues of Harper's Weekly or original Newspapers are all Civil War era items that can be bought for $25 or less.

Last edited:
I am looking in the price range of at this point a maximum of $25. I know that’s not much but It’s what I can afford at this point.

I look forward to a long history with CivilWarTalk.

We're glad to have you here! Collecting is a nice way to make a personal connection with the Civil War era. Yes, a minie ball could be a nice item to have. But the suggestions about stamps and coins are good also, if you want to avoid weapons-related items. I've been able to obtain a set of Indian-head pennies, 1861-1865, for the range of $20-30 each.

PXL_20210103_020846542.jpg

Roy B.

Thank you all for your offers and advice.

I appreciate it very much as a newcomer.

When I say fire arms I mean the actual firearm weapon. I do collect coins and stamps and paper currency but I’m looking more for an object from that. In our history. Some thing like A leather ammunition pouch or something of that nature.

So any direction that you can point me to would be most Appreciate it.

CadCam Scanner

Thank you all for your offers and advice.

I appreciate it very much as a newcomer.

When I say fire arms I mean the actual firearm weapon. I do collect coins and stamps and paper currency but I’m looking more for an object from that. In our history. Some thing like A leather ammunition pouch or something of that nature.

So any direction that you can point me to would be most Appreciate it.

CadCam Scanner
You might look into collecting CDV's. They are often available for fairly inexpensive prices. Original CDV's are a rather intriguing thing. My wife owns several and I don't think she's ever paid more than $20 for one.

There are various Civil War uniform buttons in your price range. Union enlisted buttons can be found in the $10-15 range, state buttons like Massachusetts and New York can be found for around $25. Careful on ebay though. While you can find good ones and I often buy there, there are a lot of post-war buttons being sold as Civil War. There are books you get to learn the differences, or ask here on the forum if you have questions about a particular button. I would be open to answering a private message. Buttons are what I started collecting over 40 years ago. Nice to own something actually worn by a soldier that does not cost a lot.

There are various Civil War uniform buttons in your price range. Union enlisted buttons can be found in the $10-15 range, state buttons like Massachusetts and New York can be found for around $25. Careful on ebay though. While you can find good ones and I often buy there, there are a lot of post-war buttons being sold as Civil War. There are books you get to learn the differences, or ask here on the forum if you have questions about a particular button. I would be open to answering a private message. Buttons are what I started collecting over 40 years ago. Nice to own something actually worn by a soldier that does not cost a lot.
No, I’m afraid that this is not what I am looking for right now. But I appreciate the advice

Excuse my ignorance but what does CDV stand for?
Carte de Visite were the first photos. ACW ones were printed on a thick card stock or glass. Photography really took off during the Crimea War and by the time of the ACW was well underway. Thousands upon thousands of CDV's were taken of soldiers as well as notable objects from Cannon and river boats to the battlefields themselves.

There is quite a community of CDV collectors around. I'm not one of them. My wife is a seamstress as a hobby now and uses original CDV's to get the details of clothing correct. They can usually be scanned into a computer and the detail is extraordinary. I think her most expensive was $25-30 and she's paid $6 a piece for several of children. If they aren't famous Generals, politicians or something rare they're generally fairly affordable from what I can tell. But the rare ones can get scary expensive fast.

There are several artists making CDV's today, below is a link to a Gent I know doing so today with an original Civil War era camera.

I know that’s not much but It’s what I can afford at this point.
Please allow me to make a suggestion, if I may.

Hold off on buying something for a while and save a few more bucks each week or month to build your fund. Go through your closet and see if there are some odds 'n ends you wouldn't mind selling.

In the meantime, do a little research, peruse dealer sites and get a feel for what's out there, what exactly strikes your fancy and what it might cost. That will give you a specific goal, something to aim for. When you do make your purchase, the added satisfaction will be like icing on the cake.

These things are always shots in they’re dark, but the impression is that you haven’t studied the politics that led up to the war or the war itself in any depth. Buy some histories like Battle Cry of Freedom, Army of the Heartland & Autumn of Glory that are very cheap used. Single digit dollars are all it takes. Find a subject or campaign, get some books on that topic. Once you have pursued the river war or a campaign such as Tullahoma that have recently been written about, you will have a context for your collection. One of the millions of dropped bullets is just like another. One found at the site of a camp, skirmish or battlefield you have studied is a relic that has meaning.

You can get random items online, if all you want is an object. Metal detectors have buckets of what amounts to scrap metal because without context the objects have no greater meaning. People without knowledge of the history are lambs to the slaughter where relic buying is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back