Victorian Baked Camembert

512px-Camembert.jpg
Camembert
NJGJ [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons

In 1890, an engineer, M. Ridel, devised the emblematic balsa wood box that was used to transport the cheese known today as Camembert to America. Our Victorian friends loved it and it became extremely popular. These balsa wood boxes are still used today. They protect the cheese, but also allow it to breathe.

Ingredients:
2 balsa wood boxes of Camembert
2 garlic cloves, sliced and crushed
1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
Truffle slices - just a few

Directions:
Remove any packaging from the cheeses and place them back in the box. Using a spoon, push the crushed garlic and rosemary into one of the cheeses.
Push the truffle slices into the other cheese.
Bake until the cheese starts to go wobbly in the middle.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for five minutes.
Serve with fresh bread.

Eleanor Rose note: To create a modern Camembert fondue add Chilli flakes for flavor. Push them into the cheese with the crushed garlic and rosemary. Bake both cheeses for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Serve with flatbread or toast points.

@donna, I thought you might enjoy this recipe on National Moldy Cheese Day. @pamc153PA , I think you'll enjoy this too.

Last edited by a moderator:

In 1890, an engineer, M. Ridel, devised the emblematic balsa wood box that was used to transport the cheese known today as Camembert to America. Our Victorian friends loved it and it became extremely popular. These balsa wood boxes are still used today. They protect the cheese, but also allow it to breathe.

Ingredients:
2 balsa wood boxes of Camembert
2 garlic cloves, sliced and crushed
1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
Truffle slices - just a few

Directions:
Remove any packaging from the cheeses and place them back in the box. Using a spoon, push the crushed garlic and rosemary into one of the cheeses.
Push the truffle slices into the other cheese.
Bake until the cheese starts to go wobbly in the middle.
Remove from the oven and allow to rest for five minutes.
Serve with fresh bread.

Eleanor Rose note: To create a modern Camembert fondue add Chilli flakes for flavor. Push them into the cheese with the crushed garlic and rosemary. Bake both cheeses for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Serve with flatbread or toast points.

@donna, I thought you might enjoy this recipe on National Moldy Cheese Day. @pamc153PA , I think you'll enjoy this too.

It made my mouth water!!

Back