Vendor Feedback

http://stonybrookcompany.com/

In my opinion Chris Sullivan, the owner of Stony Brook may well be the finest Vendor in the business. Stellar Customer Service, superb quality and the willingness to answer questions and contribute answers that are all but gospel. I've pointed people towards him for years and will continue to do so as I've never once heard a complaint towards his product or his service.
I know this may be a little off the subject but do you know who where someone can pick up a secondhand uniform I would appreciate any information thank you.

I just got back into reenacting a year ago after a long time out of it and needed about everything. I shopped around and looked at a lot of info on the net before I started buying stuff and had pretty good luck with most of the stuff. The first thing was a good hat, a Dirty Billy slouch. Got a jean cloth RD2 and trousers from Blockade Runner and for the price very happy, they look good, fit good and held up very well after a Florida winter season. I also bought a tent from them that I`m happy with. My shoes, leathers and personal items came from Regimental QM. Their stuff is ok for the price and they ship very quickly but I have already about wore out my shoes after 10 events. I just splurged on another pair of shoes and a set of leathers from MB&S that I just ordered I hope I get in time for Gettysburg. Wanted to kick that part of my impression up a notch. I bought a defarbed Armi-sport 1861 Springfield from Dixie Gun Works. I had some slings made by Dell`s Leather works because I`m a big guy and they were happy to make some longer than standard slings for me. Overall had a good experience with all the folks I mentioned if that`s any help to someone shopping.

I just got back into reenacting a year ago after a long time out of it and needed about everything. I shopped around and looked at a lot of info on the net before I started buying stuff and had pretty good luck with most of the stuff. The first thing was a good hat, a Dirty Billy slouch. Got a jean cloth RD2 and trousers from Blockade Runner and for the price very happy, they look good, fit good and held up very well after a Florida winter season. I also bought a tent from them that I`m happy with. My shoes, leathers and personal items came from Regimental QM. Their stuff is ok for the price and they ship very quickly but I have already about wore out my shoes after 10 events. I just splurged on another pair of shoes and a set of leathers from MB&S that I just ordered I hope I get in time for Gettysburg. Wanted to kick that part of my impression up a notch. I bought a defarbed Armi-sport 1861 Springfield from Dixie Gun Works. I had some slings made by Dell`s Leather works because I`m a big guy and they were happy to make some longer than standard slings for me. Overall had a good experience with all the folks I mentioned if that`s any help to someone shopping.
thank you for your reply I truly appreciated it..

you`re welcome and good luck. There is a lot of great advice on this thread. I think I put together a respectable kit without breaking the bank too bad. The few things I bought I wasn`t happy with was my own fault. You definitely get what you pay for and would have been better off spending a little more the first time. On the other hand you can get crazy with this stuff. Get what you can afford to get your basic kit together then you can always upgrade things a little at a time when funds allow. I`d say Regimental QM isn`t a bad place to start. They have a wide variety from budget line stuff to campaigner stuff from outside venders like WW and Company, Dirty Billy, NJ Sekela, and several others. Another nice thing with them if it`s on their site it`s in stock and ready to ship with the exception of custom made garments. Everything I ordered from them was in my hands within a week. Keep in mind custom made stuff can take some time. My uniform took a few weeks from Blockade Runner and I waited a couple months for my Dirty Billy hat. Another thing is get out to the events and mingle through the camps and keep your eyes and ears open for blanket sales. I`ve seen some guys pick up some great used stuff lately for dirt cheap. One of the new guys in our company picked up a perfectly good used jacket for 20 bucks a few events back.

I need suggestions for really good CW dressmakers who sell online. Thank you!

Positive feedback: I ordered a repro 1860 Colt Army and holster from the Regimental Quartermaster last night, and it's already with UPS and on its way, should have it in time for this weekend's event. Awesome turnaround time!

I've had nothing but phenomenal service from Regimental Quartermaster out of Gettysburg. It's also nice that they have a Campaigner Section that is updated regularly. (Well, their entire site is updated often).

They've proven to me to be very quick and prompt.

Negative experience:

After doing some research (not enough, apparently) I decided to order a CD jacket from CJ Daley, as advertised on his website. I sent the inquiry and my PayPal payment. This was early this summer, I believe June. After hearing nothing, I was told by Daley that my jacket would be shipped by Labor Day. Labor Day came and went. I have since sent Daley multiple emails requesting status. All have gone unanswered.

Negative experience:

After doing some research (not enough, apparently) I decided to order a CD jacket from CJ Daley, as advertised on his website. I sent the inquiry and my PayPal payment. This was early this summer, I believe June. After hearing nothing, I was told by Daley that my jacket would be shipped by Labor Day. Labor Day came and went. I have since sent Daley multiple emails requesting status. All have gone unanswered.
I would get paypal to reverse the payment...I don't think you will have any luck there....by all accounts, he is unresponsive to everything. Basically, avoid him.

Kwindahlco is a new vendor, but his footman's greatcoat is fantastic! JT Martin Contract, so mostly machine sewn, with hand sewn details and button holes. About a 5 week turnaround. The color is closer to early war sky blue trousers (Echoes of Glory), but within the general description of sky blue. The material is a quality kersey and the details are spot on. All for $385.00 He also makes a Schuylkill Contract coat that is completely hand sewn. I am looking at picking up a JT Martin sack coat next. His frock coats look really good too. https://www.kwindahlco.com
DSC06582.JPG
DSC06584.JPG
DSC06587.JPG
DSC06583.JPG
DSC06582.JPG
DSC06584.JPG
DSC06583.JPG

Kwindahlco is a new vendor, but his footman's greatcoat is fantastic! JT Martin Contract, so mostly machine sewn, with hand sewn details and button holes. About a 5 week turnaround. The color is closer to early war sky blue trousers (Echoes of Glory), but within the general description of sky blue. The material is a quality kersey and the details are spot on. All for $385.00 He also makes a Schuylkill Contract coat that is completely hand sewn. I am looking at picking up a JT Martin sack coat next. His frock coats look really good too. https://www.kwindahlco.comView attachment 182891 View attachment 182892 View attachment 182893 View attachment 182894 View attachment 182891 View attachment 182892 View attachment 182894
Looks nice, will check his site.

I thought I would bump this thread by stating my praise for Wambaugh, White & Co. As many have stated on here they do excellent work and are a great business. I recently purchased an item they had in stock and it arrived within three days. While items they have to make take some time understandingly, I just wanted to let everyone know if they have something on hand, they send it out instantly.

Last edited:
I thought i would bump this thread by stating my praise for Wambaugh, White & Co. As many have stated on here they do excellent work and are a great business. I recently purchased an item they had in stock and it arrived within three days. While items they have to make take some time understandibly, I just wanted to let everyone know if they have something on hand, they send it out instantly.
They are indeed, all my clothing has come from them and have a couple things in the works right now. They do great work and always answer any questions in a timely manner. It does take some time but worth the wait.

Well since this excellent thread has had life breathed back into it, I'll throw in a vendor review:

Dixie Gun Works

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, here me out.

Their uniforms, I wouldn't recommend if my life depended on it, leathers, eh, only if your a newbie. My recommendation is the guns and supplies.

They've got NIB box reproductions, and one I can't believe I don't see more of is their Chiappa defarbed M1855 repro. Its still too heavy, and I'm sure has the "Chiappa Curse" with blanks, but at $895 I'm surprised I've never seen one at an event. I aim to try for one soon.

Stopping by their store in Union City, TN is a TREAT!!! One section of a wall filled with original Richmond's and Fayetteville's, a car museum and great folks to deal with. They're prices are a little high, but I ended up buy a slew of Waterbury buttons, (something getting hard to find nowadays with all the Indian made buttons floating around), which are priced online for $12.95 for four, but them having packs of six on their sales floor marked at the same price I stocked up. Funny part is those on the sales floor were actually supposed to be $14.95, but they just charged me the incorrectly marked $12.95 apiece.

Also I've noticed Hardee's and other manuals have either become hard to find, or outrageously expensive around $20 bucks. Dixie still has excellent reprints for a little under $8 bucks.

They also have antique ordnance blueprints for CW guns that are very well done. I picked up the ever so hard to find blueprints for a Tredegar 2.25in Mountain Rifle, (my non-history minded blacksmith younger brother was salivating at the idea of using them for fun, thankfully I got a close friend with decades of experience building cannons to supervise us).

Can be a little pricy, not everything they sale CW wise is usable in proper reenacting, but excellent people to deal with online or in person.

Well since this excellent thread has had life breathed back into it, I'll throw in a vendor review:

Dixie Gun Works

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, here me out.

Their uniforms, I wouldn't recommend if my life depended on it, leathers, eh, only if your a newbie. My recommendation is the guns and supplies.

They've got NIB box reproductions, and one I can't believe I don't see more of is their Chiappa defarbed M1855 repro. Its still too heavy, and I'm sure has the "Chiappa Curse" with blanks, but at $895 I'm surprised I've never seen one at an event. I aim to try for one soon.

Stopping by their store in Union City, TN is a TREAT!!! One section of a wall filled with original Richmond's and Fayetteville's, a car museum and great folks to deal with. They're prices are a little high, but I ended up buy a slew of Waterbury buttons, (something getting hard to find nowadays with all the Indian made buttons floating around), which are priced online for $12.95 for four, but them having packs of six on their sales floor marked at the same price I stocked up. Funny part is those on the sales floor were actually supposed to be $14.95, but they just charged me the incorrectly marked $12.95 apiece.

Also I've noticed Hardee's and other manuals have either become hard to find, or outrageously expensive around $20 bucks. Dixie still has excellent reprints for a little under $8 bucks.

They also antique ordnance blueprints for CW guns that are very well done. I picked up the ever so hard to find blueprints for a Tredegar 2.25in Mountain Rifle, (my non-history minded blacksmith younger brother was salivating at the idea of using them for fun, thankfully I got a close friend with decades of experience building cannons to supervise us).

Can be a little pricy, not everything they sale CW wise is usable in proper reenacting, but excellent people to deal with online or in person.
Last I looked Dixie had a pretty good deal for a Pedersoli P53, only slightly higher than the Chiappa and much less than anywhere else. Without looking I think it was about 975, I think everywhere else was about 1200+ for a Pederesoli. I got a good deal from them for a partially defarbed M61 a while back. Happy dealing with them, would like to visit their store someday.

...and Dixie is one of the few places left you can walk in and buy actual black powder. They are a fine operation (not for uniforms) in almost all respects. It is nice to go somewhere with an inventory of arms to review and inspect so you can select the actual one you will purchase.

Back