USS Choctaw, Work in progress , update

Rene

Private
Hi there

Meanwhile a few more weeks have gone by and I’m still at work. Finally I have been able to build the very last portion of the superstructure on this vessel, those wheelhouses and the cabin-like structure in between them. Even though this part looks real simple, it turned out to be quite an effort. Because of all those different angles and shapes, building this part was in fact rather complicated and took several more hours than anticipated. But now it’s finished and the result looks quite good to me. So now the real fun begins. Details, details, nothing but details and just to get used to it I started with the hardest, I mean most time consuming part of this: Rivets, each and every iron plate needs at least 2 if not 4 of them and there are lots of them, a whole bucket full, so for the next few weeks I expect nothing but punching tiny 1mm rivets from 0,3mm thick styrene foil and then as if there wouldn’t be anything more entertaining to do, glue them one by one into their appropriate place. Oh wait a second, to do so you’ll have to pick them up, every single one of them with the help of some very pointy stick or some tweezers and put them to that place without losing them….oh the joy of being a modelbuilder!

Anyhow, have a look at those pictures and if there are any questions let me know and if you like stay tuned for more to come

c8614d67-ce94-4b4f-97e4-248479cb94d7.jpg
0dd1a959-db9c-46b0-b92a-a3ea63c986aa.jpg
8ce5b69f-0ba1-4e58-8531-195c8344c00b.jpg
26099098-c88a-4d07-8199-c6ccbcf45450.jpg
2f6691eb-9f85-49b4-822b-78cd90fe9f41.jpg
7bada97d-c019-4272-b695-c708653cade2.jpg
7a0484bf-74b9-47e6-8634-720151dd7004.jpg
41fdcdac-b07b-494a-b757-e1fa8d6f5409.jpg
e1bacff7-9572-45be-a866-c58832bcf982.jpg

That is some very great work. I like it. You need a VacuForm. I know people who use them in modeling work. They still make the sheets. Thanks @Rene for the great photos and all of your hard work. Keep it up.

Incredible! I'm jealous now and want one of those. Sweetie of mine was saying to build a model building. :smile: Is this for private or for contract display? Are you working off of plans?

Fabulous model! I admire your skill- and patience! Thanks for sharing!
Two questions: 1. What is the scale? 2. How many hours do you estimate it has taken to get this far?

I love your work! This photo is how I picture her. I didn't know she was that much wider across her backside.
United States Navy gunboat 'Choctaw' in the Mississippi River off Baton Rouge, about 1863..jpg

Reactions: WJC
It really emphasizes those massive wheelboxes, doesn't it?

She (and her semi-sister, the Lafayette) were conversions of large prewar steamers. Since the wheels had to necessarily be outboard of the hull for a sidewheeler, it was usual practice to have an overhang running all the way from the bow to the wheel, and then again from the wheel to the stern... looks a bit like a fairing but was for a different purpose-- you could increase your deck area that way, and get that much closer to a pier (or, more usually, the bank). This overhang was referred to as the 'guards.'

As gunboats, Choctaw and Lafayette didn't need guards-- in fact, removing them helped save some weight. But it did make them look rather funny.

Incidentally, when talking about sizes of riverboats, it's important to determine if the beam (width) given is inclusive of the sidewheel boxes or not. Often, the figure quoted is just for the hull proper, under the overhang, which can lead to some incorrect assumptions about how narrow the boat appeared.

In the photo Mike linked, you can see a lookout post on top of the wheel box; both semisisters had these, accessed by a ladder. Must have been a pretty good view but a pretty exposed position!

Back