USCT at reenactments.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
What are the thoughts of using USCT reenactors at battle reenactments at which there were no USCT at the battle?

I do understand that reenactments need all the reenactors they can get. So would it be acceptable to allow a USCT reenactment unit "fight" at a reenacted Battle of First Bull Run?

Difficult question to answer. Years ago I was an NCO in a Confederate Signal Corps unit. We had a 'colored' private who would fall in with us on occasion. While we couldn't prove participation by Freedmen in the CSSB, we allowed it, as he taught himself the signal drill beautifully.

Apples and oranges here, you're talking about an entire unit. I doubt a USCT unit would even choose to participate in an early war event. These reenactors tend to be very well versed in the nuanced history of their units.

If they did decide to participate, then their acceptance would depend on the type of event in question. At a mainstream event, they would probably be accepted. At a more progressive event, probably not.

Certainly something to ponder.

Yes but there are many battles being reenacted in which no USTC participated in. If the number of USCT reenactoring units did grow, it might be hard for them to find events they can attend. Let us be honest, if a USCT reenactment unit has only reenactment events in their area at which they are not welcome, would this not discourage the USCT reenactors?

Most reenactments here in Indiana aren't based on any particular battle other than Corydon and Brandenburg Crossing. A lot of the towns where Morgan's raid went use that as a basis. Sites like Spring Mill host battles and so on. I don't imagine there's much of an issue with USCT participation in events such as Spring Mill. At the same time - a lot of reenactment units do big events like Gettysburg even if the unit they're portraying wasn't there for the battlebattle, on that basis I don't see a problem with USCT participation in those events. The only difference between the 24th Indiana and 73rd USCT fighting at a Chikamauga is obvious, but they both weren't there.

Heck I've reenacted for 10 or 11 years, (admittingly all events except one being in Texas Louisiana and Arkansas), and I've never seen a USCT impression. I'd like to see USCT, but out here where I'm at that's nonexistent.

There's a few guys who portray the "Buffalo Soldiers" out here, but outside of a few guys who got together and did USCT at the 150th Jenkin's Ferry, (They might still do, I need to get up there), I don't know of any USCT and if I were a betting man, I'd say its rare in comparison, a shame to be sure.

There is very small USCT presence at shooting-type reenacting events, out of proportion to the number of USCT living history units which actually exist. They tend to go to their own, living history rather than shooting events. I would love to see a greater USCT presence at the typical reenacting event; I love the USCT and feel that their story has not been adequately told. Sadly, I think 150 years of segregation, once again, is very hard to overcome.

Back