Union Failures During Reconstruction

danny

Sergeant
No, I think there were many failures in the South, during and after reconstruction. But it seems to me the South is always blaming someone else, carpet-baggers, etc.

One poster repeatedly shows a photo of Depression-era southern children and blames the north for their condition, as if children in the north had it great during the Depression.

Might be a problem

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
@danny and @DanSBHawk ,

Your posts numbers 61 through 66 of this thread contribute nothing to the topic of this thread and I suggest quite strongly that you get out of each other's faces and start posting some historical evidence and sources and cut out the back handed personal comments.

The mods are busy, but not that busy.

Seriously,
Unionblue

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
@danny and @DanSBHawk ,

Your posts numbers 61 through 66 of this thread contribute nothing to the topic of this thread and I suggest quite strongly that you get out of each other's faces and start posting some historical evidence and sources and cut out the back handed personal comments.

The mods are busy, but not that busy.

Seriously,
Unionblue
Well UB, I didn't think my replies were that bad, but in the interest of comity I went to delete mine. Unfortunately, the last one was the only one with an "edit" displayed.

Miker91

Private
I think that southerners hadn't suddenly changed their view from blacks being an inferior race and property to suddenly being equals in race and as individuals overnight, should have been entirely foreseeable to Republicans pursuing policy, as it hadn't even happened in their constituents
This is largely still true today. Legislation never changes what is in people's hearts.

This is largely still true today. Legislation never changes what is in people's hearts.
One has to govern within the will of the people. The FSL was another classic example a decade before the ACW. It's one of the reasons I can't see it not having been forseeable.

Will Carry

First Sergeant
I think that southerners hadn't suddenly changed their view from blacks being an inferior race and property to suddenly being equals in race and as individuals overnight, should have been entirely foreseeable to Republicans pursuing policy, as it hadn't even happened in their constituents

It wasn't just Southerners. Even John Brown thought Africans were inferior, he just want them free. I do understand your post, which I believe is accurate.

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
Why do few talks on reconstruction not focus on the Union failures that made it a convoluted mess, and that left an enduring legacy of racism and sectionalism?
This may not be of any relation to what this question pretends to ,but I have read that there is serious discussion pertaining to retributions in this Congress. After the war were not free blacks not given a mule and forty acres from the plantations of their former masters? Would this not be considered retribution? What would these retributions if rendered today be of? In the sixties there was talk from radical black org. of taking certain Southern states as this. Has anyone else read of this ? Can this be debated as from the Reconstruction period and today request for retribution ? It is a important matter from a historical view.

This may not be of any relation to what this question pretends to ,but I have read that there is serious discussion pertaining to retributions in this Congress. After the war were not free blacks not given a mule and forty acres from the plantations of their former masters? Would this not be considered retribution? What would these retributions if rendered today be of? In the sixties there was talk from radical black org. of taking certain Southern states as this. Has anyone else read of this ? Can this be debated as from the Reconstruction period and today request for retribution ? It is a important matter from a historical view.
It would seem to me it wasn't ever much a binding promise, as it was just a wartime special order by General Sherman.

Though I suppose it could be considered another example of mismanagement and erratic policy.