Union Army Flag Display At GNMP

CWDF

Private
GNMP VC Flag Display 1.JPG

“The Colors of the Blue: Flags of the Union Army” will be on display 10AM to 4PM, Saturday, February 15, at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center. This exhibit will include reproductions of the most common flags of the Union Army’s infantry, cavalry, and artillery units, and the flags designating corps, division and brigade commanders. This is an opportunity for park visitors to see these flags in all their glory. The display will also include artifacts from the July 4, 1866, “Return of the Colors” ceremony when the Pennsylvania units returned their flags to the state in a ceremony at Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Included among the relics are a souvenir flag carried by war orphans who marched in the parade (perhaps the only surviving example) and a bronze version of a gold medal presented to Maj. Gen. George Meade. The bronze medals were given to other officers who served in the Civil War. Throughout the day, Dr. Lawrence Keener-Farley, retired Director of Education at the National Civil War Museum and now a GNMP Volunteer Historian, will present brief talks on the flags and answer questions. This display is part of the educational outreaching programming of the Civil War Dance Foundation www.civilwardance.org.

GNMP VC Flag Display 2.JPG

Yes, the 83rd Pennsylvania flag is a reproduction made made for my old reenacting unit by Steve Hill (Du Page Flag Co.). The photo of the original flag is the second color issued to the regiment in 1863 because the first flag had been badly damaged in battle. When the request for a new flag came in, the state adjutant general had a flag for the 157th Pennsylvania but that unit was never raised so the flag was never issued. They painted over the 157th and put 83d on top. We did the same thing when we had the reproduction made.

Most of the other flags in the display were also made by Steve for the Pennsylvania Capitol Preservation Committee. Thirty years ago, I worked with the committee's "Save the Flags Project" by giving lectures to schools, CWRTs, and civic organizations to raise money for the project. Eventually, I raised $27,000 to help conserve the flags. The committee has let me borrow the flags over the years for various displays over the years. For more information on the Pennsylvania Civil War Flags, visit http://www.pacivilwarflags.org/.

I do have one original flag from my own personal collection in a table top display case that has souvenirs from the July 4, 1866, Return of the Colors Ceremony in Philadelphia. They paraded the flags through the city. Marched to Independence Hall and presented them to Governor Andrew Curtin. War orphans from all over the state were brought in for the ceremony and given a small (12X12 inch) flag to carry in the parade. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only surviving example of one of these flags.

Return - Orphan's Flag.jpg

Yes, the 83rd Pennsylvania flag is a reproduction made made for my old reenacting unit by Steve Hill (Du Page Flag Co.). The photo of the original flag is the second color issued to the regiment in 1863 because the first flag had been badly damaged in battle. When the request for a new flag came in, the state adjutant general had a flag for the 157th Pennsylvania but that unit was never raised so the flag was never issued. They painted over the 157th and put 83d on top. We did the same thing when we had the reproduction made.

Most of the other flags in the display were also made by Steve for the Pennsylvania Capitol Preservation Committee. Thirty years ago, I worked with the committee's "Save the Flags Project" by giving lectures to schools, CWRTs, and civic organizations to raise money for the project. Eventually, I raised $27,000 to help conserve the flags. The committee has let me borrow the flags over the years for various displays over the years. For more information on the Pennsylvania Civil War Flags, visit http://www.pacivilwarflags.org/.

I do have one original flag from my own personal collection in a table top display case that has souvenirs from the July 4, 1866, Return of the Colors Ceremony in Philadelphia. They paraded the flags through the city. Marched to Independence Hall and presented them to Governor Andrew Curtin. War orphans from all over the state were brought in for the ceremony and given a small (12X12 inch) flag to carry in the parade. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only surviving example of one of these flags.

View attachment 362455
First of all, thanks for explaining the "paint over" on the 83rd PA flag I have been wondering about that ever since I took the picture.

Also, thanks for sharing the photo of the flag from the presentation ceremony. This is a really cool artifact. It is perfect for the day after Flag Day!

The who!e subject of flags carried in battle and their significance is a fascinating one to me and I want thank to you for your efforts in preserving them. The story about the 83rds. paint over job is great!

Back