Two Questions About George Thomas

JeffBrooks

Sergeant Major
I have been doing a bit more research about General George Thomas and had two quick questions.

First, did he have any principal staff officers who were with him through the bulk of the war, like Rawlins for Grant or Taylor for Lee? I know his nephew was on his staff at Nashville, but had he been on his staff earlier? Or did his staff simply come and go over the course of the conflict?

Second, when and how did he acquire Billy, his favorite horse that he named after Sherman?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

DanSBHawk

First Sergeant
I have been doing a bit more research about General George Thomas and had two quick questions.

First, did he have any principal staff officers who were with him through the bulk of the war, like Rawlins for Grant or Taylor for Lee? I know his nephew was on his staff at Nashville, but had he been on his staff earlier? Or did his staff simply come and go over the course of the conflict?

Second, when and how did he acquire Billy, his favorite horse that he named after Sherman?
Joseph Reynolds was his chief of staff at one point, but not for the bulk of the war.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jjreynold.htm