Tool Tuesday; fighting knives

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Location
South of the North 40
Below my rambling you will see a few knives. First is a fine blade I picked up from a dead Cossack in the Crimea; he was a man who died hard and took a lot of killing. I can and do have much respect for a fighting man. Beside it is a knife that was gifted me by an old Dakota who bartered the blade for a few nights rest in a warm place and the meals to go with it. He passed before the end of his stay. I took him deep into the woods and built him a scaffold as I had seen his people do for their departed. I hope I did him a good turn.

Second is a well built "Arkansas Toothpick" that I acquired shortly after my arrival in the United States. It has a keen edge and has served me well over the years. At one point I broke the point using it as a pry bar; a blacksmith was able to repair it with a simple forge weld. That I still have it so many years later is a testament to the quality of the steel.

Finally there is a fine blade of the Kabyle people, a beautiful piece that I intended to trade or sell. But the time never came to part with it until I saw my wife look at it with appreciation. Now it rests beneath her pillow at night and as far as I know rarely if ever leaves her person.

1662488015251.png


1662488029657.png



1662488050008.png
 
Finally there is a fine blade of the Kabyle people, a beautiful piece that I intended to trade or sell. But the time never came to part with it until I saw my wife look at it with appreciation. Now it rests beneath her pillow at night and as far as I know rarely if ever leaves her person.
My wife keeps a handkerchief under her pillow ohh and the remote control I mean seriously wtf Johan :eek:.
 
Below my rambling you will see a few knives. First is a fine blade I picked up from a dead Cossack in the Crimea; he was a man who died hard and took a lot of killing. I can and do have much respect for a fighting man. Beside it is a knife that was gifted me by an old Dakota who bartered the blade for a few nights rest in a warm place and the meals to go with it. He passed before the end of his stay. I took him deep into the woods and built him a scaffold as I had seen his people do for their departed. I hope I did him a good turn.

Second is a well built "Arkansas Toothpick" that I acquired shortly after my arrival in the United States. It has a keen edge and has served me well over the years. At one point I broke the point using it as a pry bar; a blacksmith was able to repair it with a simple forge weld. That I still have it so many years later is a testament to the quality of the steel.

Finally there is a fine blade of the Kabyle people, a beautiful piece that I intended to trade or sell. But the time never came to part with it until I saw my wife look at it with appreciation. Now it rests beneath her pillow at night and as far as I know rarely if ever leaves her person.

View attachment 450536

View attachment 450537


View attachment 450538
Great Stuff and there is nothing with take a blade from a dead Cossack.:D
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top