Cocktails/Brews Tomato Wine

tomato wine
(from Housekeeping in Old Virginia, by Marion Cabell Tyree, 1878)

Ingredients:

small, ripe tomatoes​
2-1/2 to 3 lbs. brown sugar per gallon of juice​
2 gallons of water per bushel of tomatoes​

Instructions:

Pick small, ripe tomatoes off the stems, put them in a clean bucket or tub, mash well, and strain through a linen rag (a bushel will make five gallons of juice). Add from two and a half to three pounds brown sugar to each gallon. Put in a cask and let it ferment like raspberry wine. If two gallons water be added to a bushel of tomatoes, the wine will be as good.​


When I lived in Tennessee twenty years ago, Lauderdale County (the Tomato Capital of the World) used to have a Winery. They made and sold Tomato wine! I bought a bottle. Now, I will drink most anything, but I must say it was vile! Although, I quit drinking it, it proved good for cooking and making sauces!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a certified wino but I wouldn't drink it.

I'm with you, total wino, but I'll pass on the tomato wine! I've had gooseberry wine and that was a bit much for my wine palette, tomato is a no go. I guess they used whatever back in the day, as perhaps grapes weren't so easy to grow depending on the region.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top