• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Beef To Hash Beef

to hash beef
(from The Virginia Housewife by Mary Randolph, 1860)

Ingredients:

sliced raw beef​
a clove of garlic​
pepper and salt​
butter​
brown flour​

Instructions:

Cut slices of raw beef, put them in a stew pan with a little water, some catsup, a clove of garlic, pepper and salt, stew them until done, thicken the gravy with a lump of butter rubbed into brown flour. A hash may be made of any kind of meat that has been cooked, but it is not so good, and it is necessary to have a gravy prepared and seasoned, and keep the hash over the fire only a few minutes to make it hot.​

In honor of Hash day - from 'The Virginia Housewife," 1860.

This recipe doesn't sound anything like what we think of today as hash, more like stewed beef with pan gravy. And the catsup surprised me. But according to Mrs. Mary Randolph of Virginia, this is hash:

image.jpg

This sounds like it would be quite doable over a camp fire! Just need some way to refrigerate everything until you're ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roast beef hash with potatoes, onions and eggs was one of our favorites back in the day. I used to make it often when I had leftover beef from a pot roast, which I seldom make anymore. I'm waxing nostalgic for some of that hearty stick-to-your-ribs type of cooking and I'm certain my husband will be happy to see it again. Plenty of winter left (up here anyway) so I'm adding beef roast to my grocery list.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good recipe for hash is Old-Fashioned Chopped Southern Beef Hash from "Out of Kentucky Kitchens".

3 cups leftover steak, or roast
4 medium-sized onions, chopped
3 medium-sized raw potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups stock, gravy or consommé
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter. Add onions and meat. Cook 5 minutes, but do not let onions burn. Add potatoes and all other ingredients. Simmer until gravy is tick and potatoes done, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve on split buttered biscuits, or toast, or rice, or noodles.

This is a quick and tasty meal.

Back