Lee Those Trunks...

Wow, talk about a hatchet job; the only thing left that website leaves out they could sling at Lee are accusations of pedophilia.

WOOOO... wait... History portraits him the perfect Southern gentlemen but the image is false. We all have faults and eccentric behaviors... The issue would all be resolved if they open the contents of the trunks to the world... The TV show Voyager had an episode about correcting history... you should watch it...

Because they can
But getting to know Lee bette
they refuse to make private papers public is meaningless
Wow, talk about a hatchet job

Let's move to the notion that Lee's slave ledger imply... "That Lee bought young slave women so he can force himself upon them." and issue Ms. Pryor awkwardly tried to avoid in her book.

It could be resolved a DNA between Lee's descendents and Slave descendents of the Custis Plantation. The same way the Jefferson descendents resolve a similar issue they were involved in...

Last edited:
As an aside, every time I see the thread title "those trunks", it brings to mind the fact that Superman doesn't have his trunks any more. :tongue:

nvr_frget_red_trunks_zps28f5c248.jpg

The family stills controls what is released... The slave ledgers seem to the most ****ing to Lee's mythic character... I wish they would have allowed complete openness with the new material, maybe one day...

Why can't they control what is released? Your decision?
As in another post - (condensed) "Gov't should confiscate them..." Not the country I want to live.

It's just difficult when these men of the past, worthy of respect because of who they were and what did alone have words like ' salacious ' and phrases like ' morally incriminating ' attached to them through a post. I realize it is supposed to be ' just a question. I am stating simply that we should allow these people the dignity they earned through dignified duty. R.E. Lee was a man of duty- and much dignity.
Very well stated! I agree completely. Thank you.

it's but about why the family chooses it limit access to the true Bobby Lee.
This statement reveals an assumption on your part: That the "real" Robert E. Lee is being kept from us. You are either overlooking or denying the possibility that the real Lee has been revealed.

Oh, yes... he has ... the naughty letters to young women gives us that clue...

No... Everyone else is blinded by his greatness on the battlefield and by idol worship...
I'll stand by what I said. You are assuming there is more behind the "naughty" letters. I think it's quite possible that the real Lee is known. I'm not sure there's more to reveal...or that there isn't. However, I make no assumptions. I'm not blinded by his prowess on the battlefield. I think he was a flawed man, just like most of the rest of us.

I also think it's rash to accuse everyone else of being blinded. I think that's far too sweeping an accusation.

You want to live in a country that glorifies its traitors... You want to live in a country that whitewashes it's history... Do you want to live in a country that exposes and explores its true history...

I didn't say that. I said the gov't has no right to confiscate personal property. Especially when it's over 150 years old. Just to satisfy your curiosity? I'm not concerned about his 'Image'. I didn't live in that era, so I can't judge good, bad or indifferent.

Back