Longstreet Things named after James Longstreet

@War Horse, @Eleanor Rose and I have been thinking about a list of things named after James Longstreet.

While a lot of Confederate leaders where honored by naming numerous tanks, ships, forts, highways, even counties after them, our good General Longstreet seems to be a bit forgotten.

Take highways for example:
upload_2017-11-28_11-39-36.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/upshot/honors-for-confederates-for-thousands-of-miles.html

So please help listing things that were named after James Longstreet. There will be precious few, I'm afraid.
I will start with that bridge I found a few days ago:

General James Longstreet Memorial Bridge, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia (probably the 0.2 mi of highway quoted above, because I could find not other stretch of road named after him)
upload_2017-11-28_11-46-16.png
http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=georgia/longstreetbridge/

Then @War Horse contributed this awesome photo of the SS James Longstreet in another thread.
upload_2017-11-28_11-49-2.png

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/helen-dortch-longstreet-in-pictures.140632/page-5#post-1698833

Go ahead! Let's find more! Even CNN regrets that there are so few things that help commemorate James Longstreet:
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/23/o...-general-longstreet-opinion-holmes/index.html

Is there more out there??

@War Horse, @Eleanor Rose and I have been thinking about a list of things named after James Longstreet.

While a lot of Confederate leaders where honored by naming numerous tanks, ships, forts, highways, even counties after them, our good General Longstreet seems to be a bit forgotten.

View attachment 167783
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/upshot/honors-for-confederates-for-thousands-of-miles.html

So please help listing things that were named after James Longstreet. There will be precious few, I'm afraid.
I will start with that bridge I found a few days ago:

General James Longstreet Memorial Bridge, Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia (probably the 0.2 mi of highway quoted above, because I could find not other stretch of road named after him)
View attachment 167784
http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=georgia/longstreetbridge/

Then @War Horse contributed this awesome photo of the SS James Longstreet in another thread.
View attachment 167785
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/helen-dortch-longstreet-in-pictures.140632/page-5#post-1698833

Go ahead! Let's find more! Even CNN regrets that there are so few things that help commemorate James Longstreet:
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/23/o...-general-longstreet-opinion-holmes/index.html

Is there more out there??
Interesting idea,

I made some searches for streets named for him and looked it up on maps for some details. Some are only assumed association as they have connections to similar-named roads. And I´ll generally not include those on/near battlefields because why should I. Not complete:

James Longstreet, Williamsburg VA - found no detail of road type designation

James Longstreet Blvd, Fayetteville, TN - junction with Lee Ave

James Longstreet Ln, Rossville, GA - more topic intersections, extension is George H. Thomas Ln

Longstreet Ave, Zephyrhills, FL - more topic interceptions, extension is Lemon Ave

Longstreet Ave, Throgs Neck, Bronx, NYC - previously named Hooker Ave for Joe Hooker, said to be only Confederate street in the Bronx

Longstreet Ave, Pleasant View, TN - intersections with roads named for Lee and Forrest

Longstreet Ave, El Paso, TX - intersections with 9th Cav Cir and 25th Inf Rd

Longstreet Ave, Highland Springs, Richmond, VA - parallel to roads named for Lee, A.P. Hill and Beauregard, instersection with Artillery Dr

Longstreet Ave, Roundhill, VA - intersections with roads named for Pickett, Hampton and Mosby

Longstreet Ave, Winchester, VA - intersections with Confederate Dr and Early Dr

Longstreet Ct, Bethalto, IL - parallel to Stuart St and intersection with Virginia St

Longstreet Dr, Tallahassee, FL- intersection with Pickett Ct

Longstreet Dr, Bartlett, IL - intersections with roads named for Stuart and Jackson

Longstreet Dr, Fort Riley, KS

Longstreet Dr, Carlisle, PA - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, East Berlin, PA - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Gettysburg, PA - near Lake Heritage

Longstreet Dr, Pineville, LA - intersections with roads named for Davis and Mosby, dead end in a nice living area in the woods

Longstreet Dr, Charleston, SC - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Brentwood, TN - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Dandridge, TN - intersections with roads named for Stuart and Jackson

Longstreet Dr, Smyrna TN - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Ln, Bossier City, LA - intersections with a huge number of similar-named roads

Longstreet Ln, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH

Longstreet Ln, Alexandria, VA - apparently there´s an Aldi nearby

Longstreet Rd, Rossville, GA - yes, that´s right, two streets named for him in one place

Longstreet Rd, Fort Bragg, NC

Longstreet St, Jacksonville, AR - intersections/extensions with Pickett Rd and Sheridan Dr

There also is a Long Street in Chickamauga ... considering place and circumstances it could be the best joke ever.

And some where I don´t know if they are actually named for him or not (could be his uncle instead) and there are no definite indicators like nearby road names. Of course I don´t include Long Street because nope. And I exlude Canada. Definitely not complete:

Longstreet, Columbia, SC - found no detail of road type designation
Longstreet Ave, Brielle, NJ - intersection into Union Ave
Longstreet Ave, Turin, GA
Longstreet Ave, Virginia Beach, VA
Longstreet Ave, Inwood, VW - intersections with roads named for Braddock and Cornwallis
Longstreet Ave Southwest, Wyoming, Grand Rapids, MI
Longstreet Blvd, Yelm, Washington (State)
Longstreet Ct, Atlanta, GA
Longstreet Dr, Little Rock, AR
Longstreet Dr, Columbia, MO
Longstreet Dr, Raleigh, NC
Longstreet Dr, Greer, SC
Longstreet Rd, Marion, IL - both East and West one
Longstreet Rd, Holmdel, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Manalapan Township, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Monroe Township, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Lugoff, SC
Longstreet Rd, St. Matthews, SC
Longstreet Rd, Willis, TX
Longstreet Rd, New Waverly, TX
Longstreet Rd, Roanoka, VA
Longstreet St, Fitzgerald, GA - both a North and a South one
Longstreet St, Macon, MISS
Longstreet St, Kingstree, SC- both a North and a South one
Longstreet St, Summerville, SC
Wood Springs Longstreet Rd, Grand Cane, LA

And now I stop because there are many more for both groups and I have other stuff to do.

EDIT: Just for the records: google maps.

Last edited:
I made some searches for streets named for him and looked it up on maps for some details. Some are only assumed association as they have connections to similar-named roads. And I´ll generally not include those on/near battlefields because why should I. Not complete:

James Longstreet, Williamsburg VA - found no detail of road type designation

James Longstreet Blvd, Fayetteville, TN - junction with Lee Ave

James Longstreet Ln, Rossville, GA - more topic intersections, extension is George H. Thomas Ln

Longstreet Ave, Zephyrhills, FL - more topic interceptions, extension is Lemon Ave

Longstreet Ave, Throgs Neck, Bronx, NYC - previously named Hooker Ave for Joe Hooker, said to be only Confederate street in the Bronx

Longstreet Ave, Pleasant View, TN - intersections with roads named for Lee and Forrest

Longstreet Ave, El Paso, TX - intersections with 9th Cav Cir and 25th Inf Rd

Longstreet Ave, Highland Springs, Richmond, VA - parallel to roads named for Lee, A.P. Hill and Beauregard, instersection with Artillery Dr

Longstreet Ave, Roundhill, VA - intersections with roads named for Pickett, Hampton and Mosby

Longstreet Ave, Winchester, VA - intersections with Confederate Dr and Early Dr

Longstreet Ct, Bethalto, IL - parallel to Stuart St and intersection with Virginia St

Longstreet Dr, Tallahassee, FL- intersection with Pickett Ct

Longstreet Dr, Bartlett, IL - intersections with roads named for Stuart and Jackson

Longstreet Dr, Fort Riley, KS

Longstreet Dr, Carlisle, PA - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, East Berlin, PA - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Gettysburg, PA - near Lake Heritage

Longstreet Dr, Pineville, LA - intersections with roads named for Davis and Mosby, dead end in a nice living area in the woods

Longstreet Dr, Charleston, SC - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Brentwood, TN - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Dr, Dandridge, TN - intersections with roads named for Stuart and Jackson

Longstreet Dr, Smyrna TN - more topic interceptions

Longstreet Ln, Bossier City, LA - intersections with a huge number of similar-named roads

Longstreet Ln, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH

Longstreet Ln, Alexandria, VA - apparently there´s an Aldi nearby

Longstreet Rd, Rossville, GA - yes, that´s right, two streets named for him in one place

Longstreet Rd, Fort Bragg, NC

Longstreet St, Jacksonville, AR - intersections/extensions with Pickett Rd and Sheridan Dr

There also is a Long Street in Chickamauga ... considering place and circumstances it could be the best joke ever.

And some where I don´t know if they are actually named for him or not (could be his uncle instead) and there are no definite indicators like nearby road names. Of course I don´t include Long Street because nope. And I exlude Canada. Definitely not complete:

Longstreet, Columbia, SC - found no detail of road type designation
Longstreet Ave, Brielle, NJ - intersection into Union Ave
Longstreet Ave, Turin, GA
Longstreet Ave, Virginia Beach, VA
Longstreet Ave, Inwood, VW - intersections with roads named for Braddock and Cornwallis
Longstreet Ave Southwest, Wyoming, Grand Rapids, MI
Longstreet Blvd, Yelm, Washington (State)
Longstreet Ct, Atlanta, GA
Longstreet Dr, Little Rock, AR
Longstreet Dr, Columbia, MO
Longstreet Dr, Raleigh, NC
Longstreet Dr, Greer, SC
Longstreet Rd, Marion, IL - both East and West one
Longstreet Rd, Holmdel, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Manalapan Township, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Monroe Township, NJ
Longstreet Rd, Lugoff, SC
Longstreet Rd, St. Matthews, SC
Longstreet Rd, Willis, TX
Longstreet Rd, New Waverly, TX
Longstreet Rd, Roanoka, VA
Longstreet St, Fitzgerald, GA - both a North and a South one
Longstreet St, Macon, MISS
Longstreet St, Kingstree, SC- both a North and a South one
Longstreet St, Summerville, SC
Wood Springs Longstreet Rd, Grand Cane, LA

And now I stop because there are many more for both groups and I have other stuff to do.

EDIT: Just for the records: google maps.

Excellent job!!

I'm sure that author did the best research they could, but some of those numbers seem unbelievably low. For example, the combined mileage shown for Stuart, Lee, and Jackson is barely 200 miles. I know I've personally driven on at least 200 miles worth of those roads just in Virginia. In the western part of the state especially, those names seem to be everywhere.

I think Longstreet's biggest problem with local honors is that he wasn't a Virginian, but he spent so much of his CW career there.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2015/6/mapping-americas-roads-named-after-confederates.html

I saw a lot of streets named Longstreet in Missouri. Quite a few actually. I would say the odds are a lot of them were named for James Longstreet. I can see them in a lot of towns. I would say the same for other Southern states. The above link show areas where there are streets named after southerners. I have some trouble with it, as I do not trust a source that really knows little or nothing about this country. They claim they do though.

Yes indeed, and not far from me. I have traveled on that Longstreet road several times, but has been a few years back. Fort Bragg once was an open facility................It didn't have any gates and one could drive on to it at anytime. Since 9-11 it has been a gated facility and with tight security...........My last visit was about 4 years ago and it took me almost 5 minutes to clear security once they got to my car.

Respectfully,
William
7.JPG

I was never a big fan of naming streets towns colleges etc. after Confederate officers I can never understand it. In no other part of the world would they do this to individuals who tried to destroy the country it has to be an American thing.

I was never a big fan of naming streets towns colleges etc. after Confederate officers I can never understand it. In no other part of the world would they do this to individuals who tried to destroy the country it has to be an American thing.

Well, it is a question of time, politics and point of view. Ask the Soviets ...

Back