The River Line - Cobb County GA

Bill Grubbs

Cadet
After Kennesaw Mountain, the last barrier to Sherman crossing the Chattahoochee River and going on to Atlanta was The River Line.

In the early 80's, I lived on Acacia Lane in Mableton GA. Across the street and in some woods, I came across a well preserved lunette that looked like it had provisions for two artillery pieces. It has since been bulldozed and industrial construction was done. It would have been no problem to preserve this since it was on the edge of the property.
Also, between the Chattahoochee River and Fulton County Airport was a huge mound of dirt which we call 'red clay' here. I was told it was General Johnston's mud fort but can find no reference to it anywhere. It may be gone now. I will drive out there and take some pictures soon, I hope, if I am able.

I will drive out there and take some pictures soon, I hope, if I am able.

That would be great to see photos from the River Line. Studying the model of the shoupade fortification, I realized that one important difference between this and other formations is the lack of a trench. In fact, that seems to be part of the point of it -- the shoupade provides a raised fort from which to sweep the ground in front. If I understand the history correctly, Sherman was not eager to assault this line, as he was still stinging from Kennesaw Mountain. So after testing it a little with artillery, he decided to seek a crossing farther to the north.

Let me see if I can create a link to display the model of the shoupade here:

Shoupade_2220.jpg

Roy B.

Back