• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweets/Treats The President's Pudding

the president's pudding
food server godeys.jpg
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1864)

Ingredients:

6 oz. fresh butter​
4 oz. loaf sugar​
4 eggs, separated​
6 oz. bread crumbs​
2 lemon rinds, grated​
light crust​
jam or marmalade​

Instructions:

Six ounces of fresh butter worked up to a cream, four ounces of loaf-sugar mixed in with the butter, four yelks of eggs beaten, six ounces of bread crumbs, two rinds of lemon grated. Line the dish with a light crust, and a layer of jam or marmalade; then pour in the mixture and bake in a very slow oven for half an hour. Froth the whites of the eggs with a little loaf-sugar and place them over the pudding, and put in the oven just before serving.​
recipe presidents pudding.jpg

Godey's did not concentrate on ' food ' as much as you would think, given the era ( 1861-1865 ) and target market. Dressing up the table? Of course, like this ' serviette ', seems a kind of fabric display for small blossoms?

Just a simple recipe but you cannot help wonder about Hale, allowing it to be named, as this particular dessert. Snark accused her of declining to notice the war but she did. Wonderfully compassionate cover art depicted women caring for wounded and putting themselves in harm's way. Seems supportive.

Recipe caught my eye, seems lemon meringue? And awfully good although would not feed it to my husband because I'd like to have him around for awhile. That is a lot of butter and eggs!

No explanation, why in January 1864, why it is called " The President's Pudding ", but bet he's have liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This does sound different, I would expect it is pretty good, definitely lemony. I wonder if it has been recreated by someone who could show a picture and say how it tastes. I would not speculate on it's tastes myself. I would let others judge it first. Thanks for posting @JPK Huson 1863.

This is terrible but it won't be me. Hysterically, since I do themed cupcakes and genuinely can ' cook ', for some reason, when the eating part of the equation comes up, lose interest. In a world where everything is interesting, even cooking and baking- sitting down long enough to eat the whole thing is the single thing, boring. It's just weird.

Back