"The Only Principle In This War"

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Battalion

Banned
"Those side issues of [slaves], State rights, conciliation, outrages, cruelty, barbarity, bankruptcy, subjugation, &c., are all idle and non-sensical. The only principle in this war is, which party can whip."

William T. Sherman, 14 August 1864

"When the people of the South tried to rule us through the negro, and became insolent, we cast them down, and on that question we are strong and unanimous. Neither cotton, the negro, nor any single interest or class should govern us."

William T. Sherman, 12 January 1865

JohnTaylor

Sergeant
"My friends, there is one issue before you, and to all sensible men but one issue, and but two sides of that issue. The slavery question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the commercial question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the Union question is but one of those symbols; the only issue before this country in this canvas is the integrity and the safety of the Constitution."
Speech in Washington, DC
21 September, 1860

Guess the name of the speaker.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
"These natural, and apparently adequate means all failing, what will convince them? This and this only; cease to call slavery wrong, and join them in calling it right. And this must be done thoroughly--done in acts as well as in words. Silence will not be tolerated--we must place ourselves avowedly with them. Senator Douglas's new sedition law must be enacted and enforced, suppressing all declarations that slavery is wrong, whether made in politics, in presses, in pulpits, or in private. We must arrest and return their fugitive slaves with greedy pleasure. We must pull down our Free State constitutions. The whole atmosphere must be disinfected from all taint of opposition to slavery, before they will cease to believe that all their troubles proceed from us." February 27, 1860.

"This declared indifference, but as I must think, covert real zeal for the spread of slavery, I can not but hate. I hate it because of the monstrous injustice of slavery itself. I hate it because it deprives our republican example of its just influence in the world--enables the enemies of free institutions, whit plausibility, to taunt us as hypocrites--causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many good men amongst ourselves into an open war with the very fundamental principles of civil liberty--criticising the Declaration of Independence, and insisting that there is no right principle of action but self-interest." August 21, 1858.

"One section of our country believes slavery is right, and ought to be extended, while the other believes it is wrong, and ought not to be extended. This is the only substantial dispute." March 4, 1861.

Guess who?

Unionblue

hawglips

Sergeant
JohnTaylor said:
"My friends, there is one issue before you, and to all sensible men but one issue, and but two sides of that issue. The slavery question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the commercial question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the Union question is but one of those symbols; the only issue before this country in this canvas is the integrity and the safety of the Constitution."
Speech in Washington, DC
21 September, 1860

Guess the name of the speaker.
No one is hazarding a guess?

It reminds me of Jefferson Davis...

Hal

lrd89

Cadet
samgrant said:
Maybe we should have a "Guess Who" category?

I give up, who said what?
That sounds like a good idea, have a trivia style game involving quotes and "who said it?".

John Taylor, I don't know who said it.

JohnTaylor

Sergeant
Apologies to all about the delay; I was incommunicado for a while.
It was William Lowndes Yancey, in a speech in washington, DC, September 21st, 1860.