Restricted Debate The Mississippi Flag Issue

Okay, I realize I'm about to open up a discussion with great controversy. But in my state of Mississippi there is a growing call for our state leaders to change the state flag design since the current flag has the Confederate battle emblem.
I just walked down the street downtown and noticed several buildings (state and private) that are flying the U.S. flag with a substitute banner beneath it in defiance and seeing the need to inspire change.
What are your opinions regarding this?
Our state voted in 2001 to keep the current flag.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
Okay, I realize I'm about to open up a discussion with great controversy. But in my state of Mississippi there is a growing call for our state leaders to change the state flag design since the current flag has the Confederate battle emblem.
I just walked down the street downtown and noticed several buildings (state and private) that are flying the U.S. flag with a substitute banner beneath it in defiance and seeing the need to inspire change.
What are your opinions regarding this?
Our state voted in 2001 to keep the current flag.
I may not be a Mississippian, but I've spent alot of time there in the last 5 years, especially after the flag issue was raised again after Charleston.

Where I've been so far in the state, Senatobia, Desoto County, Pontotoc County, Tupelo, Corinth, Oxford, etc. With the exception of Oxford, Ole Miss and the Delta, the general consensus in North Mississippi is strong support for the current flag. It's flown from courthouses, war memorials, historical sites, battlefields, you name it. Since this was voted on before in 2001, the 1894 flag won soundly and current polling shows that the current flag would win again by identical margins if a vote were held again. We have a fair shake of Mississippi users with opinions on the matter. I consider it a settled issue and support the current flag.

@7th Mississippi Infantry @Ole Miss @RobertP @Lazy Bayou @Championhilz @TheBloodySixthMS

I may not be a Mississippian, but I've spent alot of time there in the last 5 years, especially after the flag issue was raised again after Charleston.

Where I've been so far in the state, Senatobia, Desoto County, Pontotoc County, Tupelo, Corinth, Oxford, etc. With the exception of Oxford, Ole Miss and the Delta, the general consensus in North Mississippi is strong support for the current flag. It's flown from courthouses, war memorials, historical sites, battlefields, you name it. Since this was voted on before in 2001, the 1894 flag won soundly and current polling shows that the current flag would win again by identical margins if a vote were held again. We have a fair shake of Mississippi users with opinions on the matter. I consider it a settled issue and support the current flag.

@7th Mississippi Infantry @Ole Miss @RobertP @Lazy Bayou @Championhilz @TheBloodySixthMS
I saw a recent opinion survey that also agrees with you. I believe 67 percent in favor of the current flag is still the norm. Edited.
Thanks for your response.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
just walked down the street downtown and noticed several buildings (state and private) that are flying the U.S. flag with a substitute banner beneath it in defiance and seeing the need to inspire change.
Is there a State law requiring the State flag to be flown along with the national flag?

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
Is there a State law requiring the State flag to be flown along with the national flag?
Jackson for Mississippi is basically no different than Atlanta, Birmingham, Little Rock, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Louisville or Memphis Edited. So they aren't going to act all that compliant.

I thought so but evidently not. Many, if not all the city buildings in Jackson have ceased flying the current state flag. And all of the universities in the state have also ceased flying it. And the universities are state run with tax dollars attached.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Individual government organizations can decide to display or not the Mississippi State Flag. For example, the city of Oxford displays the US flag and the MIA flag while Lafayette County displays the State flag. The issue of the Confederate Flag being part of the state flag has created much heated discussion and debate and I see no resolution anytime soon.

There has been a movement to replace the state flag with the Stennis flag but I don't see that flying
Regards
David

1559929144602.png

The state flag of Mississippi is closely akin to the issue of the Confederate monument issue.....in a way.
The state flag is looked upon by the majority of Mississippians as an historic symbol and reminder of the unique history of the state and its people...Yes, both white and black, American Indian, and Jewish. Such a rich history. Some of that history we can all celebrate, some of that history is looked upon as oppressive and cruel. But it is history and the state of Mississippi has made great contributions to this nation. The Confederate symbol in the flag, I don't believe, is a "The South's Gonna Rise Again" approach. But rather a "Take a look and appreciate and learn " approach. This is for everyone, not just for a select few.
Too many times, people grab an issue and bring a people to their knees with it. The people of Mississippi said "No, not us. This is who we are, good and bad and we celebrate that heritage that has made us who we are today."
Anybody out there agree?

Desert Kid

Sergeant Major
The state flag of Mississippi is closely akin to the issue of the Confederate monument issue.....in a way.
The state flag is looked upon by the majority of Mississippians as an historic symbol and reminder of the unique history of the state and its people...Yes, both white and black, American Indian, and Jewish. Such a rich history. Some of that history we can all celebrate, some of that history is looked upon as oppressive and cruel. But it is history and the state of Mississippi has made great contributions to this nation. The Confederate symbol in the flag, I don't believe, is a "The South's Gonna Rise Again" approach. But rather a "Take a look and appreciate and learn " approach. This is for everyone, not just for a select few.
Too many times, people grab an issue and bring a people to their knees with it. The people of Mississippi said "No, not us. This is who we are, good and bad and we celebrate that heritage that has made us who we are today."
Anybody out there agree?
Well, my thinking has always been that history isn't rosey and isn't always pretty.

But I'd rather have it out in the open warts and all.

Individual government organizations can decide to display or not the Mississippi State Flag. For example, the city of Oxford displays the US flag and the MIA flag while Lafayette County displays the State flag. The issue of the Confederate Flag being part of the state flag has created much heated discussion and debate and I see no resolution anytime soon.

There has been a movement to replace the state flag with the Stennis flag but I don't see that flying
Regards
David

View attachment 311068
It is illegal to fly this "flag". It is not a flag, it is a Banner. People can choose to fly this banner. It's all over Jackson. And that's fine. We just can't call it a flag. A flag has to be legislated into existence.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Anybody out there agree?
One cannot expect people to understand that side of the controversy if it takes that much to explain it.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Perhaps I should have been clearer in posting the info regarding the Stennis banner as a private organization without governmental support. Thank you for the clarification as there is enough confusion surrounding this topic without adding more.
Regards
David

Well, my thinking has always been that history isn't rosey and isn't always pretty.

But I'd rather have it out in the open warts and all.[/QUOT
One cannot expect people to understand that side of the controversy if it takes that much to explain it.
Unfortunately, many people can't understand it unless it's spelled out to them. That's the sad reality.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in posting the info regarding the Stennis banner as a private organization without governmental support. Thank you for the clarification as there is enough confusion surrounding this topic without adding more.
Regards
David
Thank you for responding and sharing on this topic as well.

I imagine the current 1894 flag will be around a long time. All this "controversy" has entrenched the flag more than spur on any effort to replace it.

I mainly think its a shame people are doing so much to essentially subvert the will of the people. Mississippi voted to keep in 2001 and everything points to it staying if another referendum on it was held. Instead of leaving it alone too many are going out still beating the dead horse of a subject to try and beat it, but human nature doesn't work that way for as I've said they've entrenched it more. As for other States and DC, they should leave it alone as its Mississippi, the people of that State have made their attitude clear, its their flag no one else's. Efforts like the "Stennis flag" are subversive, contrary, and a way to try force change and all a forced change can accomplish is disenfranchise the majority, which no matter the views or political views is a misdeed and does nothing but draw "battle lines" and divisions deeper rather than allowing folks to just get along.

It's Mississippi's flag, and its an issue for the people of Mississippi to deal with, no one else's. But if I did have a say, I'd say have another referendum and make it clear no matter what it'll be the final say once and for all. Given the magnitude of the subject as compared to when it did in 2001 I'd say a referendum now would have a bigger impact now than then. In the event of such a referendum I'd say if the flag stayed I'd say that other States and the Federal Government should respect it rather than subvert it.

Also as stated I frown on the "Stennis flag". If your a Mississippian and don't like the 1894 flag, don't replace it with a new unofficial and divisive flag that'll only divide more. Mississippi is part of a larger Union, you don't like the 1894, fly the Stars and Stripes alone don't make a statement and draw a battle line with your neighbors who might appreciate the 1894.

Last edited:
I imagine the current 1894 flag will be around a long time. All this "controversy" has entrenched the flag more than spur on any effort to replace it.

I mainly think its a shame people are doing so much to essentially subvert the will of the people. Mississippi voted to keep in 2001 and everything points to it staying if another referendum on it was held. Instead of leaving it alone too many are going out still beating the dead horse of a subject to try and beat it, but human nature doesn't work that way for as I've said they've entrenched it more. As for other States and DC, they should leave it alone as its Mississippi, the people of that State have made their attitude clear, its their flag no one else's. Efforts like the "Stennis flag" are subversive, contrary, and a way to try force change and all a forced change can accomplish is disenfranchise the majority, which no matter the views or political views is a misdeed and does nothing but draw "battle lines" and divisions deeper rather than allowing folks to just get along.

It's Mississippi's flag, and its an issue for the people of Mississippi to deal with, no one else's. But if I did have a say, I'd say have another referendum and make it clear no matter what it'll be the final say once and for all. Given the magnitude of the subject as compared to when it did in 2001 I'd say a referendum now would have a bigger impact now than then. In the event of such a referendum I'd say if the flag stayed I'd say that other States and the Federal Government should respect it rather than subvert it.

Also I as stated I frown on the "Stennis flag". If your a Mississippian and don't like the 1894 flag, don't replace it with a new unofficial and divisive flag that'll only divide more. Mississippi is part of a larger Union, you don't like the 1894, fly the Stars and Stripes alone don't make a statement and draw a battle line with your neighbors who might appreciate the 1894.
You make some excellent points, sir!
Thank-you for your response

You make some excellent points, sir!
Thank-you for your response
And thank you for the kind words.

Another thing I'll throw out there, is if so many people want the 1894 flag replaced, they should leave it alone. Leave a symbol or banner alone it'll die of natural causes, attack it and keep attacking, all you've done is give it another hundred years of life. Its just plum human nature, especially on a what is essentially a political issue.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!