The lollypop guild?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Is this Civil War soldier a member of the lollypop guild?

ZiesseNicholas.jpg

zz.png

My real question is what is he wearing? he appears to be too fat for his jacket and seems to be wearing safety pins to hold the jacket together. Does anyone have a different view of what these items are?

Also I do not believe he is holding a bugle.

Last edited:
They don't look like safety pins to me but I don't offer an alternative.

Do you mind if I post his photo on Find A Grave?

He does have that lollypop guild hair in a curl thing going on. I have seroius doubts that this was a common Civil War era hair style.
IF it was a common hairstyle, it wasn't commonly photographed. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of photos from the 1860's and I have never come across anything that looked like that.

Also he has rather odd shoulder straps. Perhaps brass scales attachments and not shoulder straps?

I found the same photo of him and a caption. Here is the caption: "Nicholas Ziesse was a member of the 5th Michigan. He was wounded at Perryville and lost a leg. He is shown here with a keyed bugle in this post-war photograph."
http://tapsbugler.com/buglers-in-the-civil-war/2/

Well two different units. That is interesting. I might have to study this. Putting on weight and still wanting to wear his civil War jacket makes some sense.

Also found in: Wikipedia.
keyed bugle
or
key-bugle
n
(Instruments) a bugle that has keys to make it possible to play a chromatic scale
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

First I have ever heard of such an instrument.

Back