1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The Dolly at Edwards Ferry

Discussion in 'Civil War History - The Naval War' started by corn-fed-erate, Apr 21, 2017.

1. corn-fed-erate

corn-fed-erate Corporal

Hey Y'all, its been a while. I have questions about something that comes from Page 137-138 of "Confederate Ships Afloat".

"Dolly was a steamer which served Confederate authorities in the Roanoke River. She was seized by US Navy near Edwards Ferry, NC, in May (1865); on the 27th it was reported that she had been sunk in a canal along with a lighter of iron plates. Her dimensions and importance are not recorded."

This boat seems to have been captured and then sunk by the US navy, is that right?

"with a lighter of iron plates." What was a "lighter"? Was it something like a barge or a "flat" for carrying cargo?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Carronade

Carronade 1st Lieutenant

Yep. "Lighter" seems to be used mostly for craft which would shuttle cargo between anchored ships and the shore, a process referred to as "lighterage" or "lightering".

corn-fed-erate, Bruce Vail and Story like this.
  4. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail 2nd Lieutenant

Doesn't 'lighter' also mean that it is a vessel without it's own means of propulsion -- no engine, or sails.

corn-fed-erate likes this.
  5. Carronade

Carronade 1st Lieutenant

Usually, and I'm tempted to say exclusively in the 1800s and earlier. In the 20th century some powered craft have been referred to as lighters, such as the British X-lighter of World War I, one of the earliest landing craft, roughly similar to the WWII Landing Craft, Tank (LCT).

6. Story

Story First Sergeant

I got the sense that a period Lighter was a wooden box (could almost double as a floating dock) while a barge was more 'boat-like' and could even be an old coastal schooner, demasted and with built-up bulkworks (check out some of the dock scenes in other threads, they're there).

Barge doing barge things in a canal.
    6f0c4e924f76f25546c58a3aa9a23284.jpg

7. Carronade

Carronade 1st Lieutenant

"Barge" could cover a variety of craft, for example the Thames barge:

320px-Thames_Barges-Canthusus.jpg

An admiral's personal boat is also called a barge; the corresponding boat for a ship's captain is a gig.

CSA Today and corn-fed-erate like this.
  8. Talos

Talos Private

There's plans for a box-like US Navy Lighter from 1836 in Chapelle's The History of the American Sailing Navy. It mentions in the text that the standard naval lighter was a small scow between 35 and 45 feet and they were either operated with sweeps or towed. It is mentioned that one in an inventory in 1838 at Portsmouth Yard had 1 or 2 leeboards and a spritsail and rudder. There's also a plan for another one from 1848 that has been decked over and a capstan was added so it could be used as an anchor hoy.

Story and corn-fed-erate like this.
  9. rebelatsea

rebelatsea 2nd Lieutenant

That's right, in our era they were unpowered - or perhaps manpowered by guys with long poles. Inevitably steam power came along late 19th - early 20th century. Then internal combustion engine. The River Thames had enormous fleets of un powered lighters once, and some very large companies with their own tugs working them.

10. Story

Story First Sergeant

Broke out my copy, that's exactly the boxy boat shape I was thinking of.

11. corn-fed-erate

corn-fed-erate Corporal

Sure would like to see what I am now looking for in the river.

12. Story

Story First Sergeant

These Lighter-Schooners look like the cargo craft we've seen in photos, although the photographed vessels have higher bulkheads/deckhouses.
    7kEnzs3.jpg

This anchor hoy is the boxy style when I think 'Lighter'
    dAuEPoQ.jpg

Images interpretations from Chappelle

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)