NF The Bachelder papers.

Non-Fiction
And 1100 for the Bachelder maps. I have the cheaper set of maps that came with the set when I purchased the set. via Morningside.

So, I have been hiding a secret for a while:

Great news for you Bachelder Papers fans. Savas Beatie is reproducing the set. There will be a limited edition of 100 sets printed. They have a pre release special price that you can hold by contacting Savas Beatie and putting down a deposit. Hurry fast, this set won’t last long. Only $135 for the set pre-publication, $165 when released plus $15 shipping. The illustrious Eric Wittenberg is writing the forward. He and Ms Ladd will be signing the bookplate for the limited edition set. Ms Ladd along with her husband were the editors of the Morningside reprint!

3F7A6BEE-DD12-40D5-AD0A-4848A7C91302.jpeg

I have to say that I was extremely flattered to be asked to write the foreword to the new release. The Bachelder Papers have long been one of my very favorite primary sources, and I have used them extensively in my work. I'm really pleased that they will be back in print again, and I'm excited about having a second set of them so that I can retire my first editions.

So nice to see this! I got a copy through inter-library loan and I know the librarian had a hard time finding someone who would let it go out for a loan - there are that few good copies. New sets for those who want them is great!

How many volumes are there? I ask because I don't have a copy of the OR yet and I need to plan for the shelves needed for that load as well.

I bought the papers when Bob Younger ran Morningside Bookstore. May they RIP.

You guys have shelf space? I need to build about six bookcases now.

BTW, Congratulations Eric.

I learned of the reprints from the SBCWRT. I am still on their mailing list.

I absolutely love Gettysburg and reading about the battle. I’m trying to decide if I should purchase a set or not. I already have multiple bookshelves dedicated to the Civil War. I have never been able to look through any of the Bachelder volumes so I’m not sure about what they contain. So I guess what I’m asking is what make them worth the price?

I absolutely love Gettysburg and reading about the battle. I’m trying to decide if I should purchase a set or not. I already have multiple bookshelves dedicated to the Civil War. I have never been able to look through any of the Bachelder volumes so I’m not sure about what they contain. So I guess what I’m asking is what make them worth the price?

Are you near a large library where you can view them? I tried to reserve a viewing, but then the virus shutdown closed my library.

They are a collection of letters to John Bachelder by participants in the battle that Bachelder was gathering for purposes of writing the official government account of the Battle of Gettysburg. If you enjoy reading primary sources, they are absolutely indispensable. If you don't care about reading primary sources, then don't spend the money--they are not inexpensive. They have all of the problems that you would expect of primary sources, but there's also nothing else quite like them anywhere else.

I've owned a set of the original edition for roughly 20 years and have used them extensively in my research and writing. I'm excited to have a second set of them.

Back