Tea Bodice from..heck!

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
Joined
May 5, 2017
If you sew, you know that some patterns give you more instructions than others, and woe betide you if you buy "used"..Which is what I did. Instructions were scant..as in here are the pieces! Any way, I made the muslin it fit..but I didn't factor in the back pleat which when sewn really changes the fit. I wound up adding a panel in front, which I then trimmed so that it's less obvious I made a mistake..now watch, I will lose weight, and have to tear the front apart again!!

Anyway, here is my flannel winter day dress. Red and moss green on a cream background.
A36B79DC-DF3B-43ED-B9EB-588E0F482AA7.jpeg
 
I think this makes it more authentic! Think how often women of the Civil War era had to make do with partial patterns and they certainly resewed their mistakes - who could waste good fabric?
There's at least one Richmond jacket that has a patch of jeans sewed on the arm and dyed to match the color of the EAC the rest of the jacket was made of....and this patch takes up a large portion of the underside of the arm. Ir's believed it was issued from the depot in this condition, not a field repair. So a possible example of of a fixed mistake.

Mrs V you did a great job, and the beauty of underclothing is that it's not something most will see to be able to tell you goofed!
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top