1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Tariffs

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by redfish, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Eric Calistri

Eric Calistri 2nd Lieutenant

???

The article you linked to brought up the low tariff era after WW II.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Harvey Johnson

Harvey Johnson Sergeant

“Long into the twentieth century, the South remained a one-party region under the control of a reactionary ruling elite who used the same violence and fraud that had helped defeat Reconstruction to stifle internal dissent.”*

*Eric Foner Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution (Cambridge: Harper & Row, 1988), 604

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Wow, one sentence in a massive tome that shows the legacy of Reconstruction, placing it in context. That was unlike the blog post you linked to, which was about the twentieth century.

unionblue and War Horse like this.
  5. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Talk about spin! If you read this quote in the post, one gets the feeling that it is the thesis of the book, rather than more of an epilogue.

Are these periodic visits from Harvey to make sure we are all still awake and remember our lessons? It's like a early dawn sneak attack and blink of the eye, the bomb is dropped and the pilot flies out under the radar.

AndyHall likes this.
  6. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Kinda like "Washing Machine Charlie" from McHale's Navy?

unionblue likes this.
  7. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Dying dying dying of laughter!!!! Yes!!!! (they played this show in re-runs on my aunt's rez)

Look up: here comes another one....!

unionblue likes this.
  8. hrobalabama

hrobalabama First Sergeant

I just tuned in to the "tariff question" therefore I may be redundant or repetitive to prior posts.
    I carried on a debate with a local extremist several years back over the same questions.
    My main argument was if the tariff (s) were the main cause of the late war of unpleasantness why did only one state
    even mention it in their articles of secession ? The causes of any war are more than singular in most cases and are very complex in our situation. The Morrill tariff, in the extremists views, are always tied to Ft. Sumter as a tariff collection fort.
    How ludicrous an argument. Ft. Sumter was an unfinished fort in Charleston harbor. Strange that the basis for this thesis
    is not even of American origin, but the thoughts of Karl Marx and Charles Dickens. (quite a strange pair of bedfellows.)

Oh well, if the late war of unpleasantness gives us no settlement as to our many issues, it gives us something to debate about
    late at night the 2nd of July, 2016. I am in my 85th year and still fight the war again, again, and again.

Have a good and safe 4th!

Tin cup, unionblue and O' Be Joyful like this.
  9. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Actually, it's not really the thought of Karl Marx. There are some neoconfederates who misquote Marx as saying it was about tariffs. In fact, Marx said all along it was about slavery. He criticized some British newspapers for claiming it was about tariffs, and that's what the neconfederates misquote.

demiurge, unionblue and War Horse like this.
  10. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

There is a good lecture on the subject on YouTube I was watching the other night is a two-part series about 20 min. each it was very informative.

11. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

civilken,

Could you list the title or URL?

12. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

I believe the title is tariffs, that's it nothing more.

unionblue likes this.
  13. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

14. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Are these the Tariff videos?

15. C. Kelp

C. Kelp Retired User

i am sooo glad you did not teach my kids ! why would you fear political correctness ?

16. Harvey Johnson

Harvey Johnson Sergeant

With the exception of Woodrow Wilson's term of office, high tariffs prevailed from the Civil War until the Great Depression. They did not drop to low levels until after World War II when the US manufacturing economy (mostly Northern states) had no competition overseas because the economies of Europe and Asia had been wrecked.

The Republican Party was the consistent advocate of high tariffs from the Civil War until nearly the onset of World War II. It was as much a legacy of the Civil War and Reconstruction as racism.

17. Scotsman

Scotsman Sergeant

What do you mean by the statement that racism was a "legacy" of the Civil War and Reconstruction?

Racism was entrenched in American society before the Civil War.

18. James_tiberous

James_tiberous Corporal

It's funny how now we have "free trade" and everyone is saying we are being ruined! Can't win!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)