Tar recipe

Cpl. Smith

Sergeant
This is a recipe I have received and have yet to try. I am told it works well in canvas and other stuff fabrics.

43 oz. Boiled linseed oil
21 oz. Paint thinner
38 oz. porch and deck enamel
2 oz. Japan drier
6 1/2 lbs. Silica
2 oz. Spar varnish

I have no idea how to mix these or in what order.

I don't know. Think maybe someone who knows more about this could help.

I have made recipe for polish (silver), window cleaning and getting dents from furniture out of carpets. Always reading books about old time cleaners and hints on taking care of things. Many of them work.

What would the oil mix best with? That's going to be the hardest to get into anything. Doesn't seem like the rest should need any particular order...just a thought.

What are you trying to make? Oilcloth?

The above recipe seems pretty complicated to me. Not sure what the enamel and silica would be for.

Oilcloth is 50% Boiled Linseed Oil, 50% Mineral spirits. Nothing more is needed. Maybe something to dye it with. Lampblack was most common. I've used rusty nails before too.

What are you trying to make? Oilcloth?

The above recipe seems pretty complicated to me. Not sure what the enamel and silica would be for.

Oilcloth is 50% Boiled Linseed Oil, 50% Mineral spirits. Nothing more is needed. Maybe something to dye it with. Lampblack was most common. I've used rusty nails before too.
No it's for tarring haversacks and such.

Back